Band Show Self Destruction - Poor Sound Guy

• Members

So this weekend my band did our first show out of CA. We played in Reno, NV with a band called Local H. If you don't recognize them... "and you just don't get it, keep it copasetic, and you learn to accept it, no you're so pathetic..."

Anyway, we opened for them. The sound guy offers us two mics, even though we've got three singers. He was using an Allen and Heath mixer with I think about 24 inputs. Said he was "running out of inputs." To be honest, we were lucky to be a part of this show so we didn't give a fork. I just said, whatever I won't sing, and we moved along.

During the show he came up and asked me to turn my guitar cab down, I said sure and turned it down. I TRUST sound guys.

2nd band comes on, they've got full stacks, bass has 810 cab, singer is screaming his head off, they are just so loud, and NONE of the cabs are miced. They are just blaring. I guess since they are a touring band, the sound guy just said whatever, and brought the vocals up to match.

Well, after about 5 minutes of levels way too high, the place starts emptying. It was kinda sad, but we ended up playing for a bigger crowd than Local H did, all cause the second band they were touring with was WAY TOO LOUD.

You guys ever seen this at your venues?

• Members

Some bands think they're the {censored} because they're on tour. You did the right thing, and to those people who left, they'll remember you guys as "that first opening band that sounded great" because the second one was so bad.

You high fiving mother{censored}er.

• Members

You high fiving mother{censored}er.

Haha! The sad thing was... we stuck around for Local H and they were GREAT. Had an awesome well balanced sound for just a guitar and drums, his vocals were great.

I felt bad that the opening band they were on tour with screwed them over.

• Members

Went to see Dream Theater open for Iron Maiden last night. The same scenario. Dream Theater sounded great. When IM hit the stage the vocals were totally lost and the guitars were non present and all one could actually hear were the highs and the lows. I suspect the midrange frequencies were severly compressed and the sound guy didn't know the venue's system all that well. The band's perfomances were awesome. Wasn't a big Iron Maiden fan but was quite impressed with their tune selections. Scottish and Olde English folk ballads? Most unexpected. Quite cool.

:blah::blah::blah:

• Members

Management might not even be aware of the problem. It's something you might have pointed out at the gig -- "Hey, what's up with these guys? It seems like they're awfully loud, and it looks like people are actually leaving."

Local H is great live, though I would not sit through a {censored}ty 45 minute set just to see them.

• Members

Well, after about 5 minutes of levels way too high, the place starts emptying. It was kinda sad, but we ended up playing for a bigger crowd than Local H did, all cause the second band they were touring with was WAY TOO LOUD.

You guys ever seen this at your venues?

I'd say it may be closer to the rule than it is to the exception.

• Members

I'd say it may be closer to the rule than it is to the exception.

That sucks. Cause Local H was awesome and deserved a big crowd. You don't need a Marshall Full stack cranked to 9-10 in a bar that is 30x50, much less 3 of them.

I had my half stack turned to midnight, and he even had me turn it down to 5, and our guests said our sound was fine.

Pretty piss poor if you ruin a show by your own doing!

• Members

Having a sound guy in a trusting relationship with the band is key. So often a friend will tell a band member "couldn't hear ya" and get them to turn up or whatever so the sound guy isn't listening. Then again sometimes that's true! I've found that trust and 5 minutes of getting volumes dialed is a world of difference. All goes back kindergarten and getting along...;)

• Members

Too many of these types of "performances" is what caused me to write off doing metal bands. What these guys don't get, is that I look at the event as a chance for BOTH of us to show our skills. If I can't get any cooperation and everything sounds like crap-----------you know who gets blamed. I once did a show (the last metal show I think) that my DB meter read 120 db at over 50 ft from the stage. My buddy and I had to write messages to each other because we couldn't yell loud enough. :mad:

TW

• Members

Too many of these types of "performances" is what caused me to write off doing metal bands. What these guys don't get, is that I look at the event as a chance for BOTH of us to show our skills. If I can't get any cooperation and everything sounds like crap-----------you know who gets blamed. I once did a show (the last metal show I think) that my DB meter read 120 db at over 50 ft from the stage. My buddy and I had to write messages to each other because we couldn't yell loud enough.
:mad:

TW

Holy {censored}, that sucks.

Yeah no one wants to go deaf watching their favorite band. Its bad for everyone involved.

Archived