A couple dumb noob PA system questions

• Members

My band cobbled together this PA system and we've slowly been figuring out how to use it by taking it to gigs and flailing around with it. We actually haven't been doing half bad with it, but have a couple questions. The system is:

Mackie 8-ch board

QSC 1450 (mains)

QSC 850 (monitors)

Yamaha S115V mains

Gemini monitors (I forget the model)

The questions are concerning the Yamaha mains, rated at 500 watts/1000 watts peak--we're running two and they're 8-ohms each.

If we run the power amp bridged mono and daisy chain the speakers, what is the total load the amp is seeing? My bass player thinks it's 4 ohms (suggesting they're running in parallel?), but I assumed they're running in series at 16 ohm.

Would we lose power/volume if we ran them in stereo instead of bridged mono?

Last, is it possible to "underpower" the mains, as in we need to pump a certain amount of power into them for best performance?

Thanks for your patience.

• Members

They are running parallel at 4-ohms.

You would lose power running in stereo.

More power means more volume.

More power does not mean better performance.

It is possible to underpower them. I am underpowering mine right now!

• Members

Speaker connectors are wired parallel. As you daisy chain more speakers, the impedance goes down. Two 8ohm cabs in parallel is 4ohms.

Running them in stereo is fine, each cab will see 260W. If you bridge the amp, you'll be giving each cab 700W RMS... maybe not a good idea.

Quick answer: No, you can't actually "underpower" a speaker. Speakers react differently to certain situations but generally; more power = worse sound.

• Members

I'm not following the thinking there.

I was going to elaborate about a point of diminishing returns, where you balance peak volume vs distortion and long-term reliability, but the OP wasn't really asking any questions about that.

Archived