Amp for Pair of JTR Growlers - Crest CC4000?

• Members

These Crest CC4000's seem significantly less expensive than other amps that do 4000w @4ohm bridged. $650 for B-Stock. Anyone have thoughts/experience on these? I'm comparing it to big budget-minded amps like the Yorkville AP6040, Peavey CS4080hz, QSC RMX4050hd, and probably others I'm not thinking of. Budget of

My other option would be getting another RMX2450 and using one for each speaker, bridged 8ohms for 1300 watts, well under the 2000 watts listed for the speaker. Heavier than the other options @ 2x45lbs vs. 1x43lbs for the Crest.

2010 Growler:

Frequency +/-1db 46-110hz (35hz -10db)

Sensitivity* 100db

Useable Output ** 133db

Impedance 8 ohm

Recommended Amplification***

up to 2000 watts RMS

• Members

I'm using a QSC CX702 bridged to a pair of 2010 Growlers; that's potentially 2400 watts at 4 ohms (1200 watts per sub). I also tried a CX1102 in 8 ohm stereo, but still experimenting. I'm still deciding on a verdict of if I like them or not. So I'd be curious to see what setup you end up with and how you like them.

• Members

Thanks for the replies!

Do you guys just see diminishing returns on trying to squeeze the last couple db out of these? Why the hesitation to provide the 2000 watts per? It pretty clearly says on the JTR site that they take amplification up to 2000 watts RMS per box, and that this is a conservative rating for the 2010 upgrade.

I'm not debating, I'm really asking.

• Members

If it were me I would go with the Peavey CS4080hz and run the amp in dual mono so each Growler is getting 1250w @ 8ohms.

The power amplifier will run cooler working at 8ohms and the CS4080hz is a great sub amp.

• Members
Why the hesitation to provide the 2000 watts per? It pretty clearly says on the JTR site that they take amplification up to 2000 watts RMS per box, and that this is a conservative rating for the 2010 upgrade.

Because of the liklihood that the drivers will be stressed beyond their reasonable long term limits. If you want your speakers to last anyway.

Archived