PA gear addition

• Members

OK, I have an A&H MixWiz 16.2.1 a couple of JBL PRX 512Mi's as well as some other outboard gear. I'm thinking of expanding the gear for use with a two acoustic/electric guitars, bass and drums and possible keys. My additions would be as follows:

Relegate the 512's to monitor duties and add 2 more 512 Mi's to round out the monitors.

Add 2 PRX 612's for the mains.

Add 2 PRX 618 XLF's for subs.

Comments

• Members

Would would you think about instead of the 612's go with PRX 535's?

Speakers shaped like the 535 are often more trouble than they are worth. More difficult to carry and transport and nearly impossible to get to the right height in every venue as they aren't pole mountable.

• Members

Speakers shaped like the 535 are often more trouble than they are worth. More difficult to carry and transport and nearly impossible to get to the right height in every venue as they aren't pole mountable.

Good point. I was thinking the 535's for a better defined mid range for the acoustic guitars and vocals. Right/wrong??

• Members

The 535s are pole mountable. My band has 4 of them but we almost always use them with a sub.

• Members

Good point. I was thinking the 535's for a better defined mid range for the acoustic guitars and vocals. Right/wrong??

They sound better to me than a 512m does. My guitar players gibson acoustic sounds really good through the 535. I think the 3 way design has something to do with it.

• Members

The 535s are pole mountable. My band has 4 of them but we almost always use them with a sub.

I looked them up and didn't see that. Personally I wouldn't pole mount a speaker like that. I did it with my first PA speakers, which were double 15's and they were not very stable at all. As soon as I could I moved to something else ..... Different strokes for different folks.

• Members

I looked them up and didn't see that. Personally I wouldn't pole mount a speaker like that. I did it with my first PA speakers, which were double 15's and they were not very stable at all. As soon as I could I moved to something else ..... Different strokes for different folks.

We never use the pole mounts. The only time that we didn't use them with subs was an outdoor event where they sat on the flat bed trailer we were using for a stage.

• Members

Just looked it up on the JBL site. PRX535s HAVE a pole mount and only weigh in at 74#. We regularly pole mount our unpowered Yorkville U15Bs and they weigh in at 80.7#.

Boomerweps

Pole mounted in a beefy sub and "maybe" that's safe. It better be one of those really deep pole cup mounts though or no chance it is.

Here's a quick story. I had a 60lb speaker that was pole mounted over a Yorkville LS700P. Guy tripped on dance floor, hit the sub, speaker swayed and pole cup was ripped out of the sub. Sound guy ran and caught the speaker just before it was about to fall on the guy, who was now seated the floor in front of the sub.

I still use a compact setup, but have a sub that's roughly 3X the weight of the top box

Archived