Isolation

• Members

Hey guys, did you miss me?

Sooooo... curious about isolating microphones while recording a live mix in a small room?

I've thought about putting my amp facing them towards the wall with just enough gap to get the 57 on the speaker. Is this dumb? Am I just building a bass trap that will muddy the sound?

Is there a better way to stop the amp from bleeding into other mics?

• Members

If your amp faces the wall can you still hear it? If any sound gets to the mic it picks it up. Minimizing the amount that gets there will minimize it in the mic.

It's not a difficult question. Move the amp to another room, turn it down, turn it off, what???

• Members

I guess the question I'm asking is... pointing an amp right at the wall with a mic on it... will this make the recording of the ONE mic on the ONE instrument muddy because the sound is bouncing back and forth between the amp and wall a lot?

• Members

Try it.

Recording is all about experimenting then using what ends up sounding good. More professional alternatives are to use an Isobox type set, use recording gobos, etc.

Sometimes just throwing a thick blanket over the mic/cab is plenty. Since you have a 412, you can leave half uncovered. For our more informal rehearsal-type recordings IF I'm not getting good enough isolation (doesn't need to be great), I'll lazily position mic stands with the butt end of the boom sticking up and throw my hoodie over the top for use as a combination coat rack/ isolator.

• Members

Yes it will change the sound just like a drum shield changes the sound of the drum mics. It probably won't make it muddy but you WILL hear some wierd mid/hi end comb filtering from the reflection (maybe it's bad and maybe not - you decide). A baffle or even a small piece of rug on the wall in question could stop a lot of that.

Is your monitor system of sufficient quality to put your amp completly out of the way and add some back through your wedge?

Just some thoughts.

• Members

Try it.

Recording is all about experimenting then using what ends up sounding good.

This is very true.

Every environment is different, so you have to play around with everything.

Mic Placements.

Speaker Cabinets.

The room itself.

I still remember reading about Stevie Ray Vaughn, and all the crazy things they did during his recording sessions.

Archived