Bullhorn

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm sure some of you pros have had to deal with a bullhorn on stage a few times in your careers...

How do you accomplish this task?

I watched some Mike Patton vids and he always has a bullhorn that already has a mic inside the horn itself. What kind of mic do you think it is?

Probably a compressor would be useful on this channel?

I was trying to find a video of his bullhorn mic but couldn't.

So here is a vid of him trashing Wolf Mother instead:

[YOUTUBE]ZKDvJTxZDbA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Generally, it doesn't really require doing anything different.

It's the most hassle free way to get a distorted, lo-fi vocal sound I can think of.

I agree. And usually we have our singer point and click right into his main mic.

But thats only because he is in my band and doing what I tell him to do (which is keep the volume where we checked it at).

I could see some singers checking their bullhorn at 3 and then cranking it to 10 and frying some ears. But apparently the consensus is point it at a mic and go.

My R2-D2 is in the shop.

• Members

i like to use a phone when i want something a little different. i have one that i wired a guitar cord into the earpiece and stuffed the whole thing with cotton so that it won't feed back. I plug it into a DI and we are good to go. Gets a really nice sound without making us look like the Stone Temple Pilots.

• Members

I was helping a guy run sound when this issue came up... He was a 'volunteer' if you catch my drift, not really a sound guy...

So he's wondering why he can't get the bullhorn to sound right, so I walk over to the mixer and check out the channel settings, and he's trying to get the low part of the EQ cranked.... First mistake, there is no bass coming through a bullhorn with a 57 gaffed into the horn....

Then he's worried about the feedback issues (apparently there were major feedback issues at sound check)... SO I asked him what monitors the thing was in... He said it was cranked in 1, 2, 3 and 5.... that's all but one. Not set at the same level as the vocal mics, but cranked.... uh....

I had him dial out some of the lows (like, put the knob below the middle point and engage the low cut) and dial the squak box down in the monitors.. it sounded like a bullhorn should.. I was amazed that he thought he'd need more lows... it still blows my mind... but like I said, he was a volunteer...

Archived