Setup for powered mixer away from stage

• Members

We've been playing some small clubs and I have kept the Powered Mixer next to me to adjust as we play. Although, it's getting to be a pain trying to make adjustments as I can't hear what the audience hears and adjust at the same time. Our singer has a habit of complaining about something about the mix, while I'm soloing or singing backups. GEEEEZZZ!!

So, we have someone that will make adjustments while we play. But, we use a powered mixer for driving Mains & QSC amp for driving monitors. Everything is mixed on the Powered Mixer. At this time can't afford to replace the equipment we have.

I've researched some snakes, and know I can't run the mains through the snakes. How can I setup the powered mixer away from stage for the sound tech? Any diagrams, equipment lists out there? Anyone else run this setup? Lessons learned?

• Members

What you're looking for is called a powered snake.

But the warning here is that once you see the cost and weight per channel of a decent powered snake, it may have you rethinking your powered mixer plans altogether. When running sound from anywhere but the stage, the all-in-one lunchbox concept really loses most all practicality.

• Members

Hey there.

First off, as far as the complaining about the mix, and when you solo....get used to it. I dealt with a lead guitarist for years who did the same thing.

Now as far as your system is concerned.

I used a powered mixer for quite a while, and it was next to the stage.

The easiest way to use it is to find someone you trust in the audience who knows your sound, and what you should sound like.

Soundcheck or the first song of the set, have him tell you (Sign language works great here, have him point the there person, and mimic a mic or instrument, and thumb up for louder, down for softer). We used this method, and with me making the adjustments at the board next to me, I was able to get a decent sound. Well....decent with a 8 channel Yamaha powered mixer that is.

It worked, and it was simple.

• Members

you could get a couple long speakons, or double adaptors and put the mixer out in the audience. then a long XLR cable for your monitor send and put the power amp on/near the stage.. I take my Xr8600 out 50' or so from time to time, usually using an 8 ch sub snake I have..

• Members

Probably gonna be much cheap to get a regular snake and another amp for mains and just not use the mixer's amp. There's a LOT of copper in long speaker cables and decent powered snakes... making them heavy and expensive. I don't know what amp you're using for monitors, but does it have enough juice to run mains on one side and monitors on the other?

• Members

Probably gonna be much cheap to get a regular snake and another amp for mains and just not use the mixer's amp. There's a LOT of copper in long speaker cables and decent powered snakes... making them heavy and expensive. I don't know what amp you're using for monitors, but does it have enough juice to run mains on one side and monitors on the other?

exactly

• Members

So, we have someone that will make adjustments while we play. But, we use a powered mixer for driving Mains & QSC amp for driving monitors. Everything is mixed on the Powered Mixer.
At this time can't afford to replace the equipment we have.

If you can't afford it then you can't do it. As above posts have said.... you will need either a snake that has speaker cable included (expensive) OR a snake plus a couple of 100' speaker cables. At that point you will have an inferior FOH desk that is still expensive. Cheaper to get a Peavey PV14 and an IPR 1600, and a graph EQ.

OR get an inexpensive mixer, and GEQ, then use your QSC for mains and your box mixer for monitors. However you're still going to need a snake.

Why not buy a wireless for your guitar (I'm assuming it's guitar), and step out front once in a while?

• Members

there's nothing that says you have to go out that far into the venue to realize some benefits to mixing. Get a couple Speakon barrel adaptors and give it a try. Even 25' out in front can help someone make mix decisions. So maybe you have 50' on one cable and like 30 on the other, still reasonable. there are a couple regular gigs i do on my XR8600 like that. sometimes I put the mains on the power amp though...

• Members

Here's a 16 channel 100' Yorkville power snake. It has 2 sets of speaker returns, and one set for monitors.

http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=60542

yorkville-power-snake.jpg

I use it like this.

Speaker 1: Left FOH

Speaker 2: Right FOH

Speaker 3: Monitors channel 1

Speaker 4: Monitors channel 2

Mon send 1 (line level): Left Powered sub feed

Mon send 2 (line level): Right Powered sub feed

It works well!

Archived