6 months w/ the EV TourX rig

• Members

I finished a summer concert series on a rig I put together for a venue using the EV TourX cabs, mains and monitors. I have the mains powered by Yamaha P7000 amps, DBX DR+. 15+ over dual 18 subs each side. I love the rig, it's worked well beyond what was expected and has been driven harder at times than expected too. The monitors are quite small footprint for 15s, sound great. In my opinion the EVs are a step above JBL MRX(which i own) and are very close to QRx(which I own as well). Great clarity, smooth highs. weird handles. the angled jackplate is great for the mains, not so much for the wedges. not biampable. Flyable though. The grill has grown on me.. rotatable horns..

so, these may be overlooked by some but i highly suggest looking at them as an option. Next season i will probably double the rig for mains, and maybe get some of the cabs for myself.

BTW, I opted to get all EWI cables for the rig, and have been really pleased. The mic cables roll up and put away nicely.

• Members

I heard some of the ZX3?? (12 inch version) the other day and was real impressed. I think just a different tone to the MRX, more rounded, less sizzle, but i liked it.

Anyway, it got me wondering about EV. How do their different series' line up? Like JBL has JRX/Eon series > MRX > SRX > VRX... i see EV have on their website the force, phoenix, QRX, Tour X and ZX series, how do they line up?

• Members

I heard some of the ZX3?? (12 inch version) the other day and was real impressed. I think just a different tone to the MRX, more rounded, less sizzle, but i liked it.

Anyway, it got me wondering about EV. How do their different series' line up? Like JBL has JRX/Eon series > MRX > SRX > VRX... i see EV have on their website the force, phoenix, QRX, Tour X and ZX series, how do they line up?

Wood boxes go:

Force (uck!) > TRX > QRX > Phoenix > X-Array

Then there's the plastic Zx series, which is slowly replacing the plastic Sx series.

• Members

This is how they have them described, not really sure where the ZX fits in line-up.

Force:

Force i is built for the professional on a budget and boasts great sound, portability, and outstanding value. Each Force i system is easy to transport and simple to set up, making it perfect for performers, traveling DJs, school functions, and youth groups. Force i tops and subs are designed to work together as a system, efficiently using a single amplifier channel to drive both.

Tour X:

Tour X embodies the same engineering excellence and aesthetic design found in every world-class EV tour system. Its form is seamlessly integrated into practical, functional elements that make a bold statement about the multi-application purpose and breakthrough performance. A host of innovative features and patent-pending designs make Tour X the most exciting portable loudspeaker series available.

QRx:

QRx Series has become the standard for regional sound companies, rental professionals, and contractors who want compact high-performance loudspeakers with concert-grade EV components. Covered with rugged EVCOAT, QRx looks great stacked, on poles, as monitors, or flown with simple, integrated, L-track rigging points on top and bottom. Their unique, asymmetrical, fully rotable horns with 15 degree downward bias ensures high-frequency coverage without having to tilt the enclosure toward the audience. Our powerhouse, the DH7 large-format driver (three-inch voice-coil, 1.4-inch exit) provides the high-frequency engine, while a selection of DL and EVX woofers anchor the low and sub frequencies. The combination of high-level components, unique design, and versatility make QRx Series one of the best values in the industry.

Phoenix:

Phoenix represents the rebirth of Manifold Technology. Designed for tremendous SPL and sonic headroom, as well as ease of transport and set-up, Phoenix fills the needs of the live sound PA professional who finds that X-Array is just too much and QRx is not enough. The high-output performance of Phoenix has been optimized to reproduce rock, pop, and dance music. Using dual, ND2, neodymium compression drivers on a manifold horn and state-of-the-art DVX woofers, Phoenix loudspeakers can perform louder and longer with less stress on system components.

• Members

The phoenix is really 2 steps up though. The TourX makes a nice club rig, not sure I'd double up on boxes though, it may be better to use higher quality cabs.

cost-wise, it would be less expensive to double up, especially since the venue just bought the TX rig this year. the tops have a rotatable horn too which will be pretty handy..

• Members

It is easier to double, it only takes a second sub amp too and all amp channels would run 4 ohms. The boxes are very well constructed, I don't know much about the drivers though, from what I read they are a standard 15 +1" exit crossed around 2k.

The Force and eliminator came out around the same time (late 90's?). The eliminators were a really great box and right around where the yamaha club series were at price wise. The TourX really is a step up IMHO at the very least they put some thought into design rather than making it as cheap as possible from sheet OSB. The force series used lower end LF and crossovers, same basic construction though. Horrid dual 15" sub (1st version), the 18" sub that replaced it was "ok". The really gem in the series was the force 12" monitor. Very compact, lightweight. Sounded pretty good for what it was but didn't take a lot of power (200w/400w/800w) but then it didn't need a lot either.

The ZX and SX series are injection molded boxes that price between TourX and QRX depending on what line (SX250A is a wood box). They are also available as a permenant install version and work very well for that (70v too IIRC). I'd love to buy some sx80's but the lack of integrated pole mount and no set monitor angle keeps me from getting some. EV sells speakers and then makes you buy the add ons (SX200 controller, MB200 feet, pole mount adaptor), it adds up.

• Members

The SX300e is also pretty awesome cab in EV lineup. I wasn't expecting to love the TourX as much as I have. as far as doubling, the dual 18 subs are 4 ohms so i'll add another p7000, whether i'll run the tops at 4 ohms on one amp is undecided. I may take the p7000 for tops and get an RMX5050 for subs at 2 ohms, bringing my electrician buddy to wire a 20a circuit.

• Members

Right now I run either 4 or 8 ohm tops (gig dependant) and 1 or 2 4ohm dual 18's per side. The amp rack is a Behringer EP1500 on horns, Yamaha P7000x2. I've had the amps thermal @ 2ohms both channels driven so now I've moved the wiring and it's been rock solid only using 1 channel of each @ 2ohms and the other 4.

EP1500 HF L/R

P7000 LF/MF left

P7000 LF/MF right

P7000 LF/LF L/R

When it's single stack some amp channels go unused. When it's double stack with all 4 ohms tops and subs the MF amp channels are 2 ohms. If there is no bottom P7000 amp (gets pulled and used elsewhere) AND it's double stacks 8ohm tops and 4 ohms subs the LF channels are 2ohm and MF are 4 ohm. Having only 1 channel per amp @ 2ohms makes the amp happy and never thermals or shuts down even when driven hard.

Buy another P7000 and set it up similar. The RMX5050 weighs more than 2x what the yamaha does and the additional hassle of wiring makes it a real PITA to deal with.

• Members

I'd love to buy some sx80's but the lack of integrated pole mount and no set monitor angle keeps me from getting some. EV sells speakers and then makes you buy the add ons (SX200 controller, MB200 feet, pole mount adaptor), it adds up.

You've probably looked already, but the Zx1 solves all these problems and sounds better (I do have a pair of both) for only about $225 if you find a good deal.

Archived