is my singing really that off?

• Members

The opening verses of "Head Above Water" have a slow predictable tempo. The main deal here is controlling the cry mode. For example, "KEEP the CALM beFORE the STO- ORM", she has to ease in and back from cry mode on every word. If you listen to the words KEEP, CALM and STO- ORM, you will hear how she swells the notes so that they peak in the middle. Too early or too late, and it will sound off rhythmically and pitchwise. Exactly the same thing can happen with a faster song. So, I think that the opening verses of "Head Above Water" are good exercise for controlling cry mode for faster songs. And you will be able to hear more clearly if you are off.

"The Tide is High" -- compare how Debbie Harry onsets her words to how Avril Lavigne does. I totally prefer the smooth onset to vocal fry (that crack/groan start to a word). A lot of female singers don't seem to have strong enough lower register, so they "resort" to vocal fry, and it has even become a style (makes me wanna clear my throat listening to it!). If you've got the lower register, though, flaunt it! "The Tide is High" should be good lower register practice. (I also like the dynamic -- it does remind me of a tide ebbing and flowing).

"Manic Monday" -- the practise is all about that one phrase, for me -- "It's just another manic Monday!" It's not easy, and I think it has been substantially edited in the video. A big configuration shift is going on between the "ic" of manic and the "Mon" of Monday. If you don't develop some independent control of your registers, it isn't gonna work. I think the song has just that one hotspot, which makes it another good one for practice.

And ha ha, good luck with the ABBA one. I wonder how much sound engineering went into that one.

Had to google Eva Cassidy myself. Wow! She died 33! A promising career cut short.

Archived