Vocal processors through powered speakers

• Members

I currently run K12's over KW181's through a Carvin 24 channel board with a DBX eq. The K series employ extensive DSP. Our singer uses a TC Helicon Voicelive 1 or a Digitech Voice live 4. My question is this: It seems that it is a lot harder to "dial in" the processed vocals with the powered speakers than it was with passive equipment (used to run SP-2's). Does this have anything to do with the "processed" signal being "processed" again as it runs through the DSP on the speakers? Thanks.

• Members

What is the proplem you are having? Too much feedback?

I am using the TC Helicon Voice Works Plus.

This is a rack mount model not a pedal but I think they both connect the same.

As they want you to go from Mic - Processor - board.

I found this to be very difficult to dial in the processor, way too much feedback on some effects and not enough *effect* on other patches.

What I have done is use a line splitter on the vocal channel, meaning the leed vocal mic goes into a DI box splitter.

One signal from the splitter box goes direct to the board and I use this channel for the normal vocals and for the monitor sends.

The other signal runs into a second channel on the board and this is the channel I use for FOH when I need the *effected* vocal.

This way there are NO processed vocals going through the singers monitor (which seemed to create a ton of un-wanted feedback) and the singer doesn't get confused hearing the different pitch effects and harmonies.

This way I have much better control over the processor and can blend the normal vocal channel with the processed vocal channel.

If you have someone running your board I would say this is worth a try.

• Members

No, not too much feedback...just seems flat...harder to get a crisp,clean sound out of either of the processors. I have turned off the EQ and compression in the processors, and just use the board...seems to work better.

We do pretty much the same thing with the Helicon, except we internally pan the effects all to one side and use that for FOH, then the other for monitor feed. The voicelive one is a feedback monster when effects go through the monitors.

Archived