DDA cs3 32 channel board and 4 mk5164's

• Members

The CS3 probably has some value if it works and has a power supply- looks pretty similar to a GL2200.

A theater I worked in ended up having to replace their DDA Q because it was breaking with increasing frequency and parts were harder to find each time.

• Members

how much would a midas power supply be and will it work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MIDAS-XL2900-PSU-POWER-SUPPLY-UNIT-/390104561201?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad40b3631

I'm of the experience that some midas power supplies work (quite well) on some DDA consoles.

You'll need to do some research to determine which power supplies will work with your console.

• Members

Wow, didnt realize they were that much. How much would the board be worth if everything worked and had a power supply? any ideas?

Probably about $500 - $750... depending. Prices for this sort of stuff wildly fluctuate depending on the motivation of both the seller and buyer... everywhere from intrinsic value (scrap) to collectable studio bragging rights. Maybe $50 on a bad day at the wrong auction... to possibly $1500+ to the right person at the right time.

The board was probably built innabout the late '90's... pretty much the last of DDA production if I recall correctly. Probably cost about $7K new.

• Members

so i might be better selling the board without a power supply?

Probably fetch about $50 - ? Price would strongly depend on the motivation of both the seller and buyer and the broadness of the market you advertise in. Who knows... there might be somebody out there willing to pay $100+ per strip... at the other end of the scale: the local scrap dealer would probably ask "what's it weigh?"... answer: about 250 lbs. @ $50/ton mixed scrap metal = approx. $8.25 (delivered... and hacked up in chunks small enough to fit in the scrap bailer).

• Members

I was gonna use it but now i dunno if i should being its so old

It's not particurally it's age, it's what it is.

Gowahead and try to source parts for a DDA. Basically a dinosaur... very nice dinosaur... but the DNA is in the fossile record.

You're probably sitting on $10K worth of parts (to the right person) or something that might need $1K or more worth of parts to use for "something"... something being ?... since the origonal application for which this product was built has generally evolved to a different dimension... and left this product behind. Hence it's dubious worth.

I have a really nice anvil out in my shop... which is probably worth more now than it cost new (a hundred years ago)... to the right person. Finding that right person (somebody that actually wants a 130 lb. hunk of odd shaped tool steel designed for fordging wrought iron) would be key to selling it for anything more than it's scrap iron value... which... BTW: I bought it for $5 a decade or so ago from a scrap iron lot... where it was unceremoniously dumped in a mudhole with a bunch of junk batteries. I wouldn't part with it for less than $250... but then I have a need to regularly use it for it's MOL intended purpose... I'm the only person within a few hundred sq. miles that I know of that does what I do (there might be a couple others).

• Members

The DDA stuff was pretty reasonable to work on. Does your console not have a power supply?

I still service some DDA stuff, the Q was a great board and the Q2 (or whatever the mareting folks called it) was also very nice. Size and weight tend to be an issue as it does for all the old stuff.

• Members

No , i dont have a power supply. Its been an adventure trying to find one. I got it out of an install. What do you know about the eaws?

Do you have the umbilical cord (power cord) to connect the board to the power supply? I ask because the multipin disconnects typically used on DDA are somewhat specialized.

As far as a power supply goes, it's possible that many different power supplies (besides DDA or Midas power supplies) could possibly be substituted for the application. I believe what's needed is approx. 3 amps of + and - 18vdc and 350ma of 48vdc. The 2ea. DDA power supplies we have for our Q2 we basically gutted and built up new ones in the existing power supply chassis.

There's a wealth of information here:

http://www.ddaconsoles.com/

Archived