Just sold QSC HPR's

• Members

Give the Yamaha DSR112 a listen. In my testing, they stood out from the rest in their price range. I have heard good things about FBT HighMax and RCF's; however, they are really hard to get a listen to. They are also more expensive than the MI pack from all the usual players ;)

I think the RCF722 is ~$1600 ea retail (hard to find a price on-line even). That puts them up a rung from the DSR, K12, PRX, Impulse 12D, etc, which are half that price. I am not even sure what powered speakers would be in that same class (price and quality).

Have you looked at any other options?

• Members

Give the Yamaha DSR112 a listen. In my testing, they stood out from the rest in their price range. I have heard good things about FBT HighMax and RCF's; however, they are really hard to get a listen to. They are also more expensive than the MI pack from all the usual players
;)

I think the RCF722 is ~$1600 ea retail (hard to find a price on-line even). That puts them up a rung from the DSR, K12, PRX, Impulse 12D, etc, which are half that price. I am not even sure what powered speakers would be in that same class (price and quality).

Have you looked at any other options?

The speakers you mention are more in line with the art312 or art412

The art312 can be found for around $495 or less

• Members

The speakers you mention are more in line with the art312 or art412

The art312 can be found for around $495 or less

Not sure I would agree there.

Spec Item ------------Art 412 ------ DSR112---- RCF 722

Max SP ----------------127db ------- 134db ----- 130db

LF voice coil size -----2.5" ---------- 3"----------- 3"

HF voice coil size -----1.4" ---------- 2" ---------- 2.5"

HF diaphram size ----1" ------------- 2" ---------- 2"

LF amp power -------300w --------- 850w ------ 500w

HF amp power -------100w -------- 450w ------- 250w

Now granted that some of this is marketing BS; however, I am fairly certain you would find that the DSR would be a much more powerful speaker than the RCF 412a.

Sadly, I don't know of anyone that has been able to do a side-by-side of the RCF's with any of the new breed of powered speakers. I suspect that the RCF's sound quite good based on Abzurd's beaming support of his 522's which I am sure sound great (and are nearly identical in specifications to the 722).

Despite being 1/2 the price, I would be very curious to pit my DSR112's against the 722's ;) With the exception of the passive SRX715 at GC, nothing else sounded as good as the DSR112's.

I am sure that the RCF722 (and 522) are very good speakers. I am just wondering if I could hear $1600.00 difference between them and my DSR112's ;)

• Members

The 312A would be a step down from the Yamaha DSR, which I've not heard, but am comfortable making the claim. Probably most similar to a Yorkville NX55P as far as output and weight. Brighter than the Yorkville and with less low end at lower volumes as the Yorkville has hyped lows that quickly roll off as you step on the gas. Still, a steal for the money at 2/3 the price of the NX55P. IMO, best bang for the buck in a powered speaker and, when used with subs, a practical mains solution for most weekend warrior bands.

• Members

Abzurd,

Did you have a pair of NX55p's at one time? I am sure that your current RCF522's are outstanding.

Incidentally, from the specs, it looks like the drivers and amps didn't change at all. A little DSP change it looks like and the cab got smaller (and a couple of lbs heavier). I would think that the 722 would sound very similar (if not exactly like) to the 522. Looks like a pretty light cab! (36lbs). My DSR's weigh in at 47, but I can handle them alright (quite a bit lighter than my 82lb Klipsch ;)

Archived