Just sold QSC HPR's

• Members

Just sold my QSC [2] HPR 122i and [1] 181i.

Looking to buy a new system for my 3 piece pop rock band and this ART 722 seems like a great option. I was happy with the HPR but the weight factor was killing me.

The 2" HF driver sounds like a great upgrade but the only drawback to me is the plastic enclosure.

What's your take?

Are the RCF better system than the QSC HPR or even the QSC KW?

thanks for your comments

cheers,

Charles

• Members

IMO, yes, the RCF 500 and 700 series is better and they should be considering the cost. I have the 522A, 322A and 310A. Also, take a look at the new FBT ProMaxx-14A. 1.4" exit, light, historically better support than RCF. As for the plastic thing, IMO it's largely a myth that plastic isn't as good. I think plastic gets a bad rap because there are a lot of low end boxes that are plastic. Low grade, thin walled plastic with low grade drivers and low end amps makes for a crappy speaker. Thicker, rigid plastic with high grade components makes for a nice speaker. .... go figure

• Members

It's really hard to buy new speakers without listening first

There's no way that i could try some where I live.

Are these RCF better than the KW122i too?

thanks,

Charles

You may also want to look into warranty repair requirements too. If you have to ship a heavy speaker, and do without for an extended period, well,,,,,,,,

• Members

I just checked and the ART 722 is not available

That was the one model that would make me change to RCF

that 2" compression driver sounds like a good thing to have.

If I can't get the 722 then I'll stick to the QSC that I'm already comfortable

My question...

Can I get a decent system with a pair of K8's or K10's plus [2] KSubs?

Or will it be better to go with [2] KW122 and [1] KW181i?

I'm trying to shed as much weight as possible without sounding inferior to my HPR's...

any thoughts?

thanks,

Charles

• Members

How about the JBL speakers? My 712's are quite light, generally considered a step up in sound, but do require a separate amp, which I don't have to lift much above ground level! The PRX612's are probably more of a sonic equivalent, are nicely self powered, and notably lighter than the QSC's. Both have matching subs which one man can handle.

• Members

These are the finalists so far...

4 systems:

[2] K10's with [1] or [2] KSubs

[2] K10's with [1] KW181i

[2] KW122i with [1] or [2] KSubs

[2] KW122i with [1] KW181i

Not sure if I can get a couple of KSubs to hit the same or more than a single KW181i

I will be amplifying pretty much everything: [Drums, Bass, Guitar, Vocals & BackUp Tracks]

I'm trying to shed as much weight as possible without sounding inferior to my HPR's...

hope someone can pitch in with the finalist systems above

cheers,

Charles

• Members

There's a considerable difference between the "K" anything and speakers in the realm of the RCF 700 series. You should see if you can find an FBT dealer to hear the ProMaxx stuff. If you're looking for something a notch above what everyone else has and is easier to go hear in person, look at the EV ZXA5 (50 lbs).

• Members

There's a considerable difference between the "K" anything and speakers in the realm of the RCF 700 series. You should see if you can find an FBT dealer to hear the ProMaxx stuff. If you're looking for something a notch above what everyone else has and is easier to go hear in person, look at the EV ZXA5 (50 lbs).

I'm looking for a nicer bigger compression drivers

the music that we play needs that top end shine

still reading and undecided... Damn it!

• Members

Aren't those things only like 60lbs. That's lightweight by my standards.

I hear you BUT...

if you are like us that play 3 to 4 times a week and only one roadie then it gets old FAST

especially that 127lbs HPR 181 sub....

cheers,

Charles

• Members

I just checked and the ART 722 is not available

That was the one model that would make me change to RCF

that 2" compression driver sounds like a good thing to have.

Not sure where you are located but I have 722As in stock. Still have one pair of 522s left as well. Send me a PM if you want to discuss it. BTW, the ART5 and ART7 series components are higher quality than the K or KW speakers.

• Members

Not sure where you are located but I have 722As in stock. Still have one pair of 522s left as well. Send me a PM if you want to discuss it. BTW, the ART5 and ART7 series components are higher quality than the K or KW speakers.

I'm pretty far from California

thanks for your help

cheers,

Charles

• Members

I'm looking for a nicer bigger compression drivers

the music that we play needs that top end shine

still reading and undecided... Damn it!

Not sure what you mean by "top end shine", but it's worth keeping in mind that the larger compression drivers generally have poorer high response than smaller drivers of the same quality. As I understand it, the biggest reasons for 2" compression drivers is higher power handling and a lower cross over point. Now we have 1.5" throat drivers in many speakers as well which have some of the benefits of both the 1" and 2".

Judging from many of the rigs I hear it seems like the people that can actually hear high frequencies are getting rarer all the time.... Winston

• Members

2" drivers will generally have worse (in some cases much worse) HF response but this is a tradeoff for a lower crossover point, higher efficiency, higher power handling, lower distortion and lower frequencies, and better choices for pattern control at lower frequencies.

Some newer larger format drivers (1.5" and 2" exit) use exotic geometries, phase plugs, diaphragm materials, horn flairs to extend HF response and if the rolloff rate is smooth and uniform enough, carefull correction in DSP can yield outstanding HF performance BUT we are talking about >$500 drivers here.

So, top end shine is not going to be because of a 2" driver. Also note that when the pros here talk of 2" drivers, they are talking about the exit diameter of the throat and not the diaphragm or voice coil diameter which is how the marketing boys describe things because they equate bigger to better... NOT.

• Members

IMO, the difference isn't in "top end shine", but in the mids. Getting more mids into the horn and out of the woofer makes them less stuffy, more open, dimensional and just overall better articulation.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived