Is this possible?

• Members

To put a 12" driver into a 15" hole in a pre-existing box? Is there an adapter?

Unalaska's question got me to thinking that if I was to substitute a 12" driver in my 215+horn box, I could get a better sounding vocal (upper mid).

Stupid idea?

• Members

I wouldn't call it stupid, but is it sure isn't a good idea.

A speaker box is designed for the speaker, so swapping in a different speaker won't help anything.

+1. The cabs are very carefully designed for specific drivers, and acoustical physics says you should NOT try to swap a totally different driver of a unmatching size. The math is pretty insane... Take this from someone who has studied some acoustics and spent time with several of EAW's main engineers.

• Members

Many years ago I did see a 18" to 15" reducer ring that appeared to be factory made (stamped steel and tapped holes). It was used in an old (peavey, kustom?) bass amp. It sounded horrible. I knicked-named it the farting bass amp :-).

Correct, you can sometimes swap speakers but the boxes today are so fine tuned to a specific driver that to do this almost always turns into some sort of degradation (sometimes a slight one if the specs are close - but......). I wouldn't do it.

Archived