IEM into venue system: what do I need

• Members

My primary band is all on IEMs, and we run monitors out of our own self-contained rack (which is home to our sequencing gear, etc.); we carry a split-snake and everything necessary cabling-wise so that any time we may play using house PA, mics & stands, all we need to do is run their XLRs into our split and line that into the house...

At present, I line from my in-ear bodypack into the rack for this band, but I do play on occasion with other bands where I'd like to use my IEMs instead of a wedge (assuming I can still get my own dedicated monitor mix), and I want to make sure I have correct cabling/adaptors on hand to accomodate that in most situations.

The line feeding in to my bodypack terminates in a 1/4" male plug: what should I carry to make sure I'm least likely to get those kind of looks from house engineers if I mention I'd like to use my IEMs instead of a wedge?

• Members

My wired IEM ends in XLR-F, and I carry a XLR-M to TRS-M adapter. If yours is wired and ends in TRS-M, you'd probably be safe bringing the opposite, a TRS-F to XLR-F (
). Wouldn't hurt to bring an XLR cable too, in case running to get one is too much work for the engineer.

Cool. I believe I already have just such an adaptor, and already have it in my IEM gig box, but was concerned I might be missing something else obvious...

(XLR cable is already on hand as well)

Hard to imagine every potential item you'd need when you haven't been in the same situation previously, of course.

Archived