sub amp for Peavey SP218's

• Members

Hey, all, just wondered your opinion on something. We are running Peavey SP218 subs, one per side, and I had been pushing them with a Peavey GPS 3500 amp. That amp took a dump, and I sent it to Peavey, got it back...it doesn't work quite right. It puts out sound, but not near as much as it should. It also pops as soon as I turn the right side on, almost like if I turned the amp on with everything on. Anyway, we started using 2 Crown MI 1200's bridged, one per sub, which is what we're using now. I was considering selling the GPS3500 and getting a Peavey IPR 4500, or possibly a qsc gx7. Or, trying to find someone local who can fix my GPS3500. The only problems I have with the two amps I'm considering, is...who knows for sure when the IPR will come into stock at stores, and also, I have a 1600 model, that I had all kinds of problems with. I'm pretty sure mine's a bit of an anomaly, because I've heard a lot of other people having no problems. The GX7 puts out 1000watts/side, and our subs are 1200, just don't wanna cut ourselves short. No, I'm not worried about blowing anything up from underpowering, just wanna kinda maximize output.

• Members

I used to power my SP218's one per side on a QSC 4050hd(No bridging!). It was a great match. I used the 50hz filters on the amp. I don't think those drivers have much below 50hz. I wouldn't put much more than 1000w into those cabinets.

• Members

The GX7 is a reasonable choice, as would be a PLX1804 in stereo for 900 watts a side but MUCH lighter (13#!). Peavey SP speakers are pretty sturdy and reasonably rated but that 1200 watts is the PROGRAM rating so a bit under won't lose you much SPL capacity. Plus you have to consider voice coil heat saturation at full power which causes a power loss to heat with little gain in SPL (also called power compression). Having the extra power headroom is a good thing but not if used constantly for this reason. Yes, amp power rating is a major consideration but so is cost and weight. The GX series is a midweight good power unit but the PLX XX04s are very light proven performers, IME. One thing about the GX and the newer XX02 PLXs is the built-in crossovers. You could buy two of those, put one behind each speaker stack, and have it feed a top and a sub ;>).

Boomerweps

• Members

Peavey SP speakers are pretty sturdy and reasonably rated but that 1200 watts is the PROGRAM rating so a bit under won't lose you much SPL capacity.

Not so sure about this, and also one reason why its important to clarify exactly which version of the SP he has. My SP118s are 1200 watt program, or 600 rms. If his SP218 is the same series as my speakers then a 1200watt rms would make sense.

• Members

Yes, they're 1200 continuous, it's the SP118's that are 1200 program. They're the newest model, but the first generation (the ones with the gray grills). Also, with the PLX series amps, and the RMX4050, you're talkin' a lot more cost, which we can't do right now, thus the reason I'm looking at the GX7 and IPR4500. I'd thought about trying to find someone local to take my GPS3500 to to get it fixed, but idk. Might be more than it'd be worth, plus who knows how much longer it's gonna last. So, that's why I was thinking sell it and get whatever I can out of that amp as is, and maybe sell some other stuff, or just save up til I can get one or the other.

Archived