How do you run just one sub with a stereo system?

• Members

I do not have a mono out on my Yamaha MG124 but have been thinking about adding a single sub with our duo to add a little more bottom end. I run in stereo because of some of the stereo effects I run with my guitar. Do I just run it off of on side?

• Members

Send your signal into an active crossover. Most have a summed mono subwoofer out with a stereo out for the balance of the signal. Send the summed mono subwoofer out to your subwoofer amp and then the upper signal to your tops. Alternatively, many active subs have a built-in stereo crossover which allow you to send a stereo signal into and then back out of the sub. The low-end is mono up to whatever crossover point you select and then the high pass signal comes out in stereo. You would then connect that signal to your active cabinets or to your amp, whichever you may be using.

• Members

Send your signal into an active crossover. Most have a summed mono subwoofer out with a stereo out for the balance of the signal. Send the summed mono subwoofer out to your subwoofer amp and then the upper signal to your tops. Alternatively, many active subs have a built-in stereo crossover which allow you to send a stereo signal into and then back out of the sub. The low-end is mono up to whatever crossover point you select and then the high pass signal comes out in stereo. You would then connect that signal to your active cabinets or to your amp, whichever you may be using.

Right, and both of these solutions don't use an aux ;)

• Members

I should have mentioned this in the OP. Here is my gear line up.

2- JBL 512's

Yamaha MG124

Driverack PA+

TC Helicon M One XL

You've already got the solution. Just select and used the 2x3 mode on the DRPA. 2 in, 3 out with stereo tops and mono sub(s). Yes, you will need an amplifier channel for each of those three.

Boomerweps

• Members

I guess I'm presuming that the sub has a low-pass filter/crossover.

That doesn't help with the tops unless you can (really) duplicate a corresponding inverse of the low pass on the top boxes.

Since he has the DRPA, he can run in 3 way mode, and just use one sub channel. That way the low pass matches up to the HP on the tops. Doesn't need to use an aux either.

Archived