Help me with reverbs

• Members

The thread about the MixWiz 'verbs got me to thinking. I am just about to put my new TC Helicon M One XL to work and was wondering which 'verbs to use to start out.

We are a 6 piece semi acoustic group that plays in small venues such as our livingrooms. The lineup is 2-3 acoustic guitars, 1 electric guit, fiddle, dobro and electric bass. There are three primary vocalists. It is getting to the point where I need to add my small PA (PRX 512's, Yamaha MG124 etc.) to enhance the vocals a bit and maybe the fiddle and dobro too.

So I'm looking for some help in getting some patches and/or types of 'verbs to start out with. Plates, large/small halls, spring??

• Members

I've always been a fan of plate reverb for vocals. However, for our church praise band we keep the reverb set to arena on the ZED 22FX. We keep it down quite a bit for the most songs so as not to muddy up the mix. But then when an acapella part comes in the soundman will crank up the effect to give them a bigger sound.

• Members

In most of the units I've used, I've found the plates to sound too much like a big metal trash can. A Hall usually ends up being the best starting point, after I set everything something like this:

Early reflections at minimum.

Pre-delay at miminum.

Diffusion at maximum.

Low end rolled off below 200 and/or the lows decay time cut by 50%.

High end rolled off about 5kHz. Adjust highs decay by ear.

Decay at 2 seconds.

Fire it up and tweak from there.

Archived