Intermittant problems with a balanced line mixer.

• Members

Ghost In The Machine?

Two weeks in a row I've experience a weird situation with a balanced line mixer I use to sub mix my keyboards. I'm using a ROLLS RM203 stereo line mixer with the balanced outs going to a DI, DI to a Stereo keyboard amp on the other side of the stage. In between is about 30 ft of XLR cable. We have two keyboard players in the band, lots of gear and only 2 channels to work with. Together we are sending one stereo mix (using about 10 pieces of gear) to the FOH.

An odd thing occurred at a gig two weeks ago. Three synths were connected on three seperate channels of the line mixer and one synth had no output. I swapped cables, thinking it was the cause. Still no signal however the other two were functioning fine. So I swapped out to another available channel and this time there was output but very strained sounding. At this point I'm thinking it's the output jacks on my synth when suddenly I regain full volume again.

Thinking it was a fluke I pressed on this weekend. This time it was a differen't synth that experience the same problems. Once again I swapped cables and channel inputs. This time I regained signal only to have the output volume steadily degrade until it was again a faint sound. Again the other keyboards on other channels were working fine. Then just as soon as it started it stopped and I achieved the appropriate volume.

Again this Saturday the same thing happened. One random synth on a randomly picked channel with a replaced cable in each situation. It seems like it happens immediately after I power the line mixer... then after a few moments it begins to work again. This doesn't seem to affect the main output volume... just one synth on a random channel. After it 'warms up' I have no problems the rest of the night.

The obvious solution is to just replace it. It's just nagging at me what could be causing this to happen. I've had this mixer about 5 years with no problems.

Archived