Peavey SP118 question

• Members

DaBender if you're really curious as to whether your Yamaha amp has limiting or not, you can easily find out yourself. Hook up enough speakers to it so you don't blow anything up, run a sine wave into it (there are free apps on the internet, or you can use a keyboard with a sine waveform if you don't own a generator) and listen to what happens when you run the amp solidly into the red.

The sound of a sine wave clipping is obvious and unmistakably ugly.

Techs if this isn't a valid test, let me know. It's just something I've picked up (as a non-tech)....

• Members

DaBender if you're really curious as to whether your Yamaha amp has limiting or not, you can easily find out yourself. Hook up enough speakers to it so you don't blow anything up, run a sine wave into it (there are free apps on the internet, or you can use a keyboard with a sine waveform if you don't own a generator) and listen to what happens when you run the amp solidly into the red.

The sound of a sine wave clipping is obvious and unmistakably ugly.

Techs if this isn't a valid test, let me know. It's just something I've picked up (as a non-tech)....

Don't do this, not if you value your speakers.

• Members

Yeah I kind of figured you guys wouldn't like that test much. But the combined RMS ratings of the speakers was almost 2 1/2 times the RMS output of the P7000s, it was only for a split second, and we survived intact.

I'm not sure if I would have had I kept doing what I had been (which was to run that amp with the clip lights flickering) hour after hour, night after night. Since it wasn't limiting that would have had a far greater chance of taking out a driver eventually - and on a gig not here at home.

Anyway what I learned was that the front panel of that amp doesn't lie. The lights are red, they're labeled "clip", and that's exactly what that amp does when they light up.

Archived