Great sax artist

• Members

He plays in the SF Jazz Collective, right? Some serious heavyweights in that outfit

Who's one of you favorite saxophonist?

Just one? All-time? Wayne Shorter.

Want to check out a saxophonist who doesn't get a lot of attention? Pick up Keith Jarrett's "Belonging" with Jan Garbarek on sax (favorite tune: "The Windup"). That's one of my top 10 all time favorite jazz albums (maybe top 5). His tone is as icy as a Nordic glacier. Jarrett's "My Song" has the same band and is equally strong.

Trust me on this.

• Members

I like Miguel's playing a lot because he takes a unique approach to post bop with a softer tone and glissandos where you'd least expect them. I hear a lot of Joe Henderson in his playing, translated for alto. Joe is perhaps the most underated of all the giants, he was definitely his own man, he literally played everything on that tenor and was accessible to most. Better player than Wayne in my opinion. Mark total agreement with you on Jan being great and he's been active for a long time, I like that he openly embraces Dolphy and does his own thing. Joe Lovano is also incredible.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I like Miguel's playing a lot because he takes a unique approach to post bop with a softer tone and glissandos where you'd least expect them. I hear a lot of Joe Henderson in his playing, translated for alto. Joe is perhaps the most underated of all the giants, he was definitely his own man, he literally played everything on that tenor and was accessible to most. Better player than Wayne in my opinion. Mark total agreement with you on Jan being great and he's been active for a long time, I like that he openly embraces Dolphy and does his own thing. Joe Lovano is also incredible.

My point exactly! Here is actually a good example of what you're talking about...

amazing huh?? this guy makes me want to pick up the sax and play myself...even though i would probably be HORRIBLE haha.

• Members

Favorite? Living or deceased?

Brecker. Hands down. Most control over the horn and probably most fire. If not Brecker, then Coltrane, for basically the same reasons.

Garbarek is scary, though. I think he did play best on Jarrett's quartet albums (including Nude Dance, which is live), though he did a wonderful contemplative album with the Hilliard Ensemble named Officium. Very old and kind of in line with his work with Jarrett are two he did with the Bobo Stetson quartet (same bass and drum as with Jarrett, Bobo's on piano) and two others he did with Eberhard Weber.

Archived