Please review! SINGING WITH HALF A VOICE!

kickingtone

• Moderators

Guys, I think your discussions has gone off on a tangent from the original topic. Just cautioning you that things are starting to look like they're bordering on insulting comments, which can be a slippery slope. I advise you to take a step back. I understand that not everyone can agree on everything, but please try to keep your comments constructive. Thanks.

• Members

However, there are hundreds of people who have used Singing Success etc. and succeeded with it because they are SMARTER than CosmicDolphin.

What a pity you are not one of them or I could take you more seriously. You obviously understand about as much about business as you do about singing.

Why do you think there are 7 or 8 "Associates" at SS ? Because they know there's only a limited amount you can learn from a DVD and once you've exhausted that resource there's a good chance you'll wind up doing what you should have from the beginning and book some coaching.

Except you'll be paying between 100-250 dollars per lesson for the privilege instead of the going rate everywhere else.

Now who's smart? I'll tell you.. It's the guy who figured out how to scale a vocal tuition business

There are hundreds of people who are not having to blame their singing course, unlike CosmicDolphin

"CosmicDolphin couldn't manage it" does not translate to "singing courses don't deliver on the promises". It just means that CosmicDolphin couldn't manage.

Blaming it ? I'm not blaming any of them for anything. The basic concept is flawed , the feedback required from a trained expert to do the the exercises properly or make adjustments to techniques in a song is entirely absent.

You're the amatuer psychologist, from your SoundCloud recordings I suggest you read up on unconscious incompetence because that's evidently the stage you seem stuck in.

If two people with similar difficulties in singing spent a year each training SS, all other factors being equal, who do you think would be subjectively better after a year?

A singer who trained only from the DVDs or a singer who had an hour every week from one of the associates ?

You are trying to tell yourself, that your failure to progress is not you, it is failure in the material, and nobody can succeed where you have failed.

Lol I never said I failed to progress, I've progressed rather a lot with the right teaching methods thanks.

The Dvd materials are not "wrong" either, it's just that you can't possibly hope to apply them correctly in isolation. You won't even realise that the exercise is the wrong one for your problem, let alone that the way you're doing it is most likely incorrect.

Actually, I cannot recall coming across anyone quite as predictable and stereotypical as you. LOL! Even when I said you are suggestible, you mentioned a psychometric test (a test designed to stereotype people) at your job, that says you are stubborn. LOL! The irony was lost on you, unsurprisingly. Suggestible people often do develop a stubborn streak for self-protection. It is the other side of the same coin: you tend to accept or reject without any proper deliberation, probably because you don't trust yourself to make correct decisions.

You really do lack the talent you believe you possess for working people out. No wonder you said you got into so many arguments along the same lines.

Just about all your deductions are very wide of the mark. Proper psychometric tests and by that I mean the recognised ones that larger employers have to pay good money for are not there to stereotype people . They can pretty accurately identify character traits, strengths, weakness and communication styles and suggest roles they may be more sure for in an organisation.

There's only one way to settle things, choose a song , post the recording. I'll sing the same one. In 12 months come back and both record it again and we'll see who's training has improved their voice the most.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
I've kind of made a discovery. SINGING WITH HALF A VOICE!

Long story short, I was messing around, trying to create a lighter, less chesty sound than normal. Does this work? :D

Sorry, BE WARNED, I sound a bit like a dwarf at the beginning, but I soon get into my groove..

http://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/wtsci010lvp

It's a first cut, in more than one way. I have just magically discovered this way to cut down the chest resonance.

Is it an improvement on this..

http://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/wtsci004lvp

Hi, Very interesting style, thanks for sharing. How did you come up with this? What inspired you? I would say it was more of a backing vocal than a lead. Also your timing feels a little off. I have it stuck in my head now and all I can think of is one of the characters from The Muppets singing!

• Members

Hi, Very interesting style, thanks for sharing. How did you come up with this? What inspired you? I would say it was more of a backing vocal than a lead. Also your timing feels a little off. I have it stuck in my head now and all I can think of is one of the characters from The Muppets singing!

Hi lukeboy. Thanks for commenting.

I'd just realized that sometimes my breath feels as if it is leaning on the front of the diaphragm, and sometimes it is leaning higher up in the chest. It wasn't something I was choosing to do. It was just happening. I thought it made sense to learn to control it.

Shortly afterwards, I saw a video that mentioned "anchor points" for the breath, which is basically what I had already discovered. The video said that you should be able to anchor your breath ANYWHERE! So, hey, I started experimenting, and the first clip is as high an anchor point as I could manage! Not pretty, but pretty is not the idea of an exercise. You wouldn't actually sing at an extreme like that.

Extremes can be useful in understanding what is happening with smaller variations. Varying the amount of "quack" and "muppet" are things I have come across a lot. (btw. to me, the second clip sounds more "muppet" than the first).

Rhythm is definitely off. I haven't practiced singing along with that song. I was only going on memory (so I've messed around a lot of the notes, too!) It's the PPM cover I had in mind, so no lead vocals, as such. I am basically speech level in my clips. I didn't put any energy in at all. I don't even know how I would actually sing it, properly. All three voices blend equally. I'd probably get way with hiding behind the amazing guitar playing. :p

The aim really is to practice controlling the anchor point, rather than just letting it "happen" or even switch unintentionally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I think both sounds good. I like the higher pitched one' date=' sounds more upbeat :D[/quote']

Thanks for your comment, man!

I've been doing some messing around trying to apply what I learned from the half voice/anchor shifting technique to the second clip to get some dynamic going in it. I'm basically practising shifting the anchor point of my breath. So far this..

http://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/wtsci015lvp

...and here, it may be more obvious because I am changing mid-clip...

http://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/itemr011lvp

...and in this one, I shift anchor point at the end, where I was previously using a lot more air pressure, instead.

http://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/sh016lvp

Archived