I want a wired IEM with high-quality sound

• Members

Drummers often use wired rather than wireless IEM monitoring, and I've read that they say the sound quality is better for them.

I bought a top-tier IEM last year that came with one bodypack, but to add other packs for other bandmembers is ridiculously expensive.

Plus, hell none of us move around much anyway cause we play in small cramped corners and stages most of the time. Not to mention we're all tied down with guitar cables anyhow, so this looks like a good solution for that http://www.jumpaudio.net/ixmcablesetup.html.

What do I need to build a quality-sounding wired IEM for 1-4 players? Also, don't want anyone to go deaf from an accidental dB spike so what about limiting?

• Members

I think the earbuds have much more to do with the sound quality than the actual transmitter/receiver or whatever it is that you're using to get signal.

On the other hand, if I was playing with a couple of folks and usually end up crammed into a corner, I'd probably look at getting a jamhub to handle in ear monitoring...even live.

• Members

"The IXM and RXM systems do not come with a built in limiter or compressor. If you would like a compressor or limiter, we suggest adding an in-line limiter or compressor."

So the the only benefit of this over just using a $50 Rolls personal monitor mixer is only having one cable? Doesn't seem worth the extra expense and you still have no limiter to protect your ears.

• Members

"The IXM and RXM systems do not come with a built in limiter or compressor. If you would like a compressor or limiter, we suggest adding an in-line limiter or compressor."

So the the only benefit of this over just using a $50 Rolls personal monitor mixer is only having one cable? Doesn't seem worth the extra expense and you still have no limiter to protect your ears.

Yeah, saw that. Does anyone know if the Rolls stuff sounds decent? Or is it Behringer-level stuff?

• Members

Yeah, saw that. Does anyone know if the Rolls stuff sounds decent? Or is it Behringer-level stuff?

Worry about the earbuds first. I've used a great IEM/{censored}ty earbuds and great earbuds/{censored}ty unit. The {censored}ty unit/great earbud sounded much better than the other way around.

• Members

I've used the Rolls (actually still have one - could even be talked into selling if someone is interested) and was very pleased with it. You MUST use a limiter, however, as it does not have one.

Now I use a wireless.

Buds are critical. I recommend custom molds. Especially for drummers... much better bass response.

Stix

• Members

• Members

Furman makes a great IEM setup.

You can get these pretty cheep (comparitavely speaking). Carvin has ear buds for ~$36 that are decent and inexpensive.

I don't believe that either of these has protective limiters.

Archived