The passing of Bob Pease

• Members

I was just made aware of this, he passed in June of this year, and some of you engineering types may be familiar with his contributions to our audio industry. For many years, he was the go to guy regarding operational amplifiers (op-amps) which form the cornerstone of all of our pro audio products over the past 25 years. He was an engineer's engineer, when he spoke everybody listened.

Here's a link to the obituary: http://www.edn.com/article/518568-Analog_engineering_legend_Bob_Pease_killed_in_car_crash.php

• Members

it was the real deal but written in "his" style. I was always more of a digital guy vs. that analog black magic so it was useful to have something saying: "well.........when this doesn't work as expected............look here. I bet you'll find that..........etc."

• Members

See, I'm an analog guy through and through, I see a lot of the digital stuff (specifically microprocessor and multi-processor) full of black magic, and the biggest perveyors of black magic are some of the software folks. Things that work only sometimes under the right conditions with the right royalties and licenses and updates paid, etc. That's voodoo.

• Members

...and let's not forget the "Bob Pease Lab Notes" complete with the coffee ring on the covers... I can't tell you how many of his seminars/talks I've been too.

But to the other discussion: Digitial is analog when you look close enough. I went into design as an analog guy. Then, as technologies changed, I began to be less of an amplifier designer, and more of a DSP platform (with gain) designer. Now, I am back to analog... not because my designs specs have changed, but because that is where I spend my time: where digital becomes analog!

Now the real "black magic" is in the RF compliance domian!

• Members

these days I deal with helmet mounted displays for the military. So it's a lot of optics, processors and firmware, just enough analog to keep everything powered. You want to talk about compliance? try getting a delicate piece of optics through a 600 KEAS windblast test......

Archived