Where to procure proper stage attire?

• Members

Shades of Spike Jones and his City Slickers!

Clothing (helps) make the show. Who would bother watching and listening to a bagpipe band that wasn't in kilts?

Seriously, some styles of music demand proper attire. A jump/swing band had better be in suits - preferably with two-tone shoes. Big bands need matching suits or semi-formal wear. Even rock-n-roll periods are defined by the look. If the Aloha shirts do it for the band, stay with it. If not, make changes. But the show is improved if the band has a common look. Not necessarily matching, but with a common theme. (Unless you do a lot of Village People stuff . . . .) You have to get buy-in from everybody in the band to make it work, however. Mark C.

• Members

In Seattle: http://metroclothingco.blogspot.com/
http://www.insurrectionvintage.com/index.html
Goodwill in the International District and the U District, the Salvation Army store down in SODO, close to the stadiums is good, too. The Nordstrom Rack off I-90 in Factoria sometimes has cool stuff at great prices.
These guys sometimes have stuff I dig: http://www.tattooapparel.com/
http://www.dressthatman.com/index.htm

• Members
When all else fails, dress in black.

My black tee shirts have the best ROI of any of my stuff....lol Someone asked me how long it took me to "make " my jeans look like they do.....:facepalm: So i suppose i should take better care of my beat up jeans :cop:

• Members

The last shirts I shopped for were at a large horse expo show, lots of options.

Used clothes stores are another good option. That's where we got this:

Andy: Is that jacket by chance a Langlitz Leather (made in Portland, OR)? I wore a Langlitz for approx. 20 years, and finally gifted it to a acquaintance a few years ago when my pot belly outgrew it.

• Members

The jackets in the video look like Manuel's to me. Pretty much anytime you see a famous person wearing a Nudie style suit, especially someone from Nashville, it's a Manuel. Unfortunately, they cost about the same as a used car.

Yeah, that was the guy I thought of too, in my post above. It's a very specific look, with sequins and rhinestones that reflect stage lighting. You can't fake it with a printed or stitched pattern, and you're not likely to find it at a Goodwill store. A local seamstress might be hired to make one of these outfits, but it's very labor intensive and wouldn't be cheap.

• Members

Andy: Is that jacket by chance a Langlitz Leather (made in Portland, OR)? I wore a Langlitz for approx. 20 years, and finally gifted it to a acquaintance a few years ago when my pot belly outgrew it.

I think so, it was provided by the folks I rode for in that show. It was hot as hell... I did a dozen shows, one a day, in 100 degree weather. Fortunately it only lasted 10 minutes or I would have been in trouble.

• Members
Obviously you weren't riding a fast enough horse.
;)

Nope, it was a big light draft, and I was in a routine where we danced (on horseback) along with Darth Vader while challenging Iron Man who was riding a stallion. Made for some interesting dynamics, that's for sure. Darth Vader roasted in his costume way worse than I did.

• Members

I wanted a few suits in bright colors for stage wear, but the cost of a custom-made suit was prohibitive, and regular menswear stores just don't stock that kind of stuff. But I went down to a couple stores where stylish African-American gentlemen buy their clubwear, and found all sorts of wild colors and styles, and they were cheap--$99 out the door for suits in white, purple, and bright red. Obviously that is not for everybody but it works for me.

• Members
Nope, it was a big light draft, and I was in a routine where we danced (on horseback) along with Darth Vader while challenging Iron Man who was riding a stallion. Made for some interesting dynamics, that's for sure. Darth Vader roasted in his costume way worse than I did.

At 60mph, a Langlitz jacket is comfortable in 100F temps. ;)

• Members

I wanted a few suits in bright colors for stage wear, but the cost of a custom-made suit was prohibitive, and regular menswear stores just don't stock that kind of stuff. But I went down to a couple stores where stylish African-American gentlemen buy their clubwear, and found all sorts of wild colors and styles, and they were cheap--$99 out the door for suits in white, purple, and bright red. Obviously that is not for everybody but it works for me.

Yea those places are def worth checking out for something a little "different". I got my fav fedora at one of those places for less than $20.

• Members

Ha! That's my old trick! THe jacket in this picture (below) had pants that matched, and was about a hundred bucks for the suit at 'Mr. Curlys', a *ahem* urban shop back in Salisbury, MD..

377913_2559972171961_1633746291_32442026

I can almost comfortably wear the suit again, much to my wife's chagrin.. This is a picture from our 'winter formal' day in the second week of December (at work)

• Members

Not really a Homberg,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYT8Ce1T_qcpDZXykiV7W

altho the brim is a similar width, narrow for a Fedora. The brim bends from the base, the headband, no little curl around the outer edge.

Its just that I've never trained the front to stay down, it wants to flip up.

I kinda like it that way.

Whatever you call it, Its my fav felt hat.

• Members

Ha! That's my old trick! THe jacket in this picture (below) had pants that matched, and was about a hundred bucks for the suit at 'Mr. Curlys', a *ahem* urban shop back in Salisbury, MD..

377913_2559972171961_1633746291_32442026

I can almost comfortably wear the suit again, much to my wife's chagrin.. This is a picture from our 'winter formal' day in the second week of December (at work)

Awesome. Great look for a Rockabilly or Swing band. Love the vest.

• Members

Thanks! Withthe red jacket and pants, it is a unique look... The vest was $250 retail price, but marked down to $40 at Nordstrom Rack (about two years ago). I bought it before I could really even fit into it properly... I can wear it now!

• Members

Thrift stores are the key here, I think. When people have clothing they wouldn't be caught dead wearing in public, they sell it to thrift stores and well.... performers buy it! :thu::cool:

I've even seen people score 300$ mountaineering boots for 15$.

Archived