Strange gig last night.....

msmooth

• Members

OK, to start let me say that i went in to last night's gig with a bad attitude. My acoustic trio was playing in a restaurant/bar that does pay better than anywhere else we play, however it is a loud room, hard for us to hear, a 4hour gig, and I don't think it is the best fit for what we do. To make matter worse there was a funk band ( very good one) playing in the room above us, and there sound was coming through the floor into thew pub where we were playing. And it turned out to be a really cool gig.

There were times when we were communicating with our eyes because we couldn't hear each other. When the band upstairs was going, I could not hear our upright bassist (even though he plays through a small amp). we seemed to have 3 different crowds. The first set was from 8-9 and the dinner crowd was still there. They were very receptive to us but left between sets. Second set (9:30-10:30) a different crowd came in and they were older but a lot of fun. After they left, we had a younger 20 something crows for the last set (11-12) and they were drinking and having a good time. No one seemed to bothered by the thumping bass from above and we all enjoyed ourselves.

when loding out I was talking to the guys from the funk band and one of them said, " we could hear you guys rockin' out downstairs between songs". I said "you could hear US playing?". It was a good night, a little longer than usual, but a good night.

• Members

I just did a video shoot a week ago, and kept hearing a relatively faint thump through the walls. Got out of the shoot, and some hipster muso comes up in the hallway of the building and says "were you next door, you guys sounded great". Funny how sound travels.

BTW I also play a room that will sometimes have one, or two or even three separate crowds. It's pretty strange, but it does keep things interesting.

Archived