Ears Ringing, Ear plug, What does the pro's use for ear plugs?

• Members

It would go Aux/mon out to IEM transmitter to IEM receiver to earbuds

1. Monitor out to what kind of a splitter unit? so it can supply every in the band the sound mix that will be using IEM ear plugs?

Don't you need a headphone amp or splitter unit after the monitor outputs? because most mixers only have Left and right monitor outputs how can you supply everyone in the band that is using IEM?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I asked around and most people at guitar center and bands at the clubs said that the ringing in your ears is good because its breaking in your ears cause they are virgin ears to loudness cause the ringing won't happen again once it's done its damage and cut out the freq's that's why the pro's don't wear ear plugs or IEM units.

So the suggestion is that if you hurry up and damage your hearing sooner rather than later, you will be better off? Do you also listen to these same folks for your financial planning and investment advice? :facepalm:

Their comments don't mesh up with my understanding of human physiology, or the dose-response model of hearing loss in an occupational context, but what do I know? I still have my hearing (mostly). Mark C.

• Members

I did get the custom fitted plugs, I paid $150 for them but they still make my ears ring cause its either they aren't the filter is 25db I need something stronger plus they don't fit really tight

Those are not custom molds. Custom molds are molded to fit you ears exactly. If they aren't tight you have other issues.

• Members

1. Monitor out to what kind of a splitter unit? so it can supply every in the band the sound mix that will be using IEM ear plugs?

Don't you need a headphone amp or splitter unit after the monitor outputs? because most mixers only have Left and right monitor outputs how can you supply everyone in the band that is using IEM?

No splitter. Each send should feed one transmitter. Most really cheap consumer mixers only have L,R,M. Real mixers have multiple aux out to use as you wish. The Mixwiz is highly regarded and it has 6 aux sends. You can also feed as many receiver off a single transmitter as you want. One transmitter can feed the whole band if each person has a receiver.

• Members

I asked around and most people at guitar center and bands at the clubs said that the ringing in your ears is good because its breaking in your ears cause they are virgin ears to loudness cause the ringing won't happen again once it's done its damage and cut out the freq's that's why the pro's don't wear ear plugs or IEM units.

Dude, start moving up into smarter clubs. I don't know a single touring band that does use IEMs in some way. Next they are going to tell you to shoot yourself so your skin get broken in... I will guarantee that the ringing will not eventually stop. Eventually it will last until the day you die of the day you get surgery to sever the nerves in your ears so the sound will stop. That was actually offered to me by a doctor. It's live with the noise or live with no noise at all.

• Members

There quote was the lions hang out with the lions

Cause most players on stage have tinnitus or ringing in there ears after a gig

There should be a separate thread on funny (stupid) advice received from Guitar Center employees.

• Members

You can also feed as many receiver off a single transmitter as you want. One transmitter can feed the whole band if each person has a receiver

Ya i would have to do it this way since the gigs/clubs i play at have cheap mixers with only Left and Right monitor outputs

I read that an IEM transmitter can provide audio mix for multiple band stage members on the same channel

So I don't have to get an IEM transmitter that has multiple outputs or channels

I'm thinking of buying the Nady E03 In-Ear Personal Monitor System since it's cheap

It has everything for $199

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/nady-e03-in-ear-personal-monitor-system

So you just have to buy one transmitter and buy multiple IEM receivers for each band member

Custom molds are molded to fit you ears exactly.

2.) Yes, I paid $150 for them, My ear doctor said that your ears grow and change over time that's why they don't fit tight anymore

• Members

So this post is just a joke? Definitely, Walters9515, that Nady unit is perfect for you. I could't imagine a better fit for you. I should have figured out this was a joke. $150 customs? Ears grow so the customs won't fit? Ringing is good? Nady? This is a funny thread. Walters, also check out Carvin's older IEMs. Those sound just as good as the Nady's and they are even bigger looking.

• Members

Do you want IEMs or ear plugs? They are different. IEMs will feed audio and ear plugs will just block ambient sound. You claim you want the best for your ears and then you throw in a quote for probably the worse excuse for IEM that was ever created. The Nady E03 is absolutely indescribable in it's poor performance. It was bad enough that Carvin actually lets Nady build their IEMs.

Galaxy is the cheapest usable and decent unit available.

• Members

Yes I am looking for both ear plugs and IEM

Galaxy Audio AS-1000R Any Spot Wireless Receiver with In-Ear Personal Monitors? it cost $199 without a transmitter

It doesn't come with a transmitter, Which transmitter should i buy that is cheap?

Why I said the Nady is because it had both the transmitter & Receiver

• Members

If you are getting the Galaxy receiver, then I suggest that you get the Galaxy transmitter. Galaxy is the least expensive reasonable solution. You are not going to get both cheap ($200) and good for an IEM system. Better to save your money for the Galaxy than waste it on Nady or similar. Mark C.

• Members

Ok I will buy the Galaxy Audio AS-900

But what are the best IEM ear plugs for tinnitus issues?

Since the Galaxy Ear plugs won't do isolation or protect your ears

Which brands of IEM ear plugs is the best for tinnitus issues or to protect your ears very good to hook up to the Galaxy unit?

• Members

Walter, check out custom IEM's from Westone, JH audio, UE, 1964ears. You will have to spend at least $400 on a decent set. The galaxy audio and carvin IEM systems are rubbish. Spend a bit more and get Sennheiser or Shure. Yes, it will cost you some money, but how much it your hearing worth?

I spent about 1k on my system, a second hand Sennheiser wireless system, and a pair of 1964 ears triple driver IEM'S. It was worth every cent, probably the best gear I've ever bought.

If you don't mic up everything, try running a single cheap condenser into a pre and out to your IEM system. This gets you the basic stage sound, but you have it in your ears and can control the volume.

• Members

If you don't mic up everything, try running a single cheap condenser into a pre and out to your IEM system. This gets you the basic stage sound, but you have it in your ears and can control the volume.

1.) I was thinking about putting a microphone on the Right part in front of the stage and another microphone for the Left part in front of the stage, but won't it cause feedbacking or squealing and a Delay for the vocals because of the PA speakers?

• Members

1.) I was thinking about putting a microphone on the Right part in front of the stage and another microphone for the Left part in front of the stage, but won't it cause feedbacking or squealing and a Delay for the vocals because of the PA speakers?

Like sharnrock said, those are not fed to the speakers. You will need a board that has auxes or monitor outs and those mic should only be in the IEM mix.

I also don't entirely agree with bbrunskill. The Galaxy units are world better than Carvin and Nady. While the Galaxy stuff is cheaper they are still a very usable unit. I also agree that Sennheiser and AT make better units but at considerably higher costs. We are very happy with our Shure PSM200s. Those are the low end of the Shure stuff but have never given us a single issue in almost 10 years of use.

• Members

Walters9515,

How old are you?

Great question. I wasn't sure if it was a noob thing to listen to the GC hacks or if it was just due to age. I hope he is older because I got my tinnitus in my early 20s and that sucks. If you got to get it, get it as late in life as possible.

• Members

I just checked his profile,,,, he's 33. I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes a few years down the road, if he's experiencing these symptoms at this stage. At least he's trying to do something about it, but,,, I'd find another band. I didn't read the entire thread, but feedback,,,squealing?? What the hell's up with that? Sounds like those guys need to do some serious brushing up on sound-reinforcement,,,,like square one.

• Members

1.) If I put Two microphones in front of the stage wouldn't the vocals have a delay in the IEM in the mix from the PA speakers going into the microphones in front of the stage? Because the singer will be singing on-stage going out of the PA speakers gets picked up from the 2 microphones in front of the stage going into the IEM for the band memebers there would be a Delay from the stage to IEM right?

2.) If I put Two microphones in front of the state wouldn't that cause feedback or squealing from the PA speakers to the microphones in front of the stage since they will be so close together?

( why I'm putting 2 microphones in front of the stage is to get a Stereo Mix for the IEMs, Plus I don't want to mic up ever thing on stage, bass, drums, guitars, keyboards, etc.

I would you prevent the vocal delay, feedbacking, squealing for this type of set up

• Members

1.) If I put Two microphones in front of the stage wouldn't the vocals have a delay in the IEM in the mix from the PA speakers going into the microphones in front of the stage? Because the singer will be singing on-stage going out of the PA speakers gets picked up from the 2 microphones in front of the stage going into the IEM for the band memebers there would be a Delay from the stage to IEM right?

2.) If I put Two microphones in front of the state wouldn't that cause feedback or squealing from the PA speakers to the microphones in front of the stage since they will be so close together?

( why I'm putting 2 microphones in front of the stage is to get a Stereo Mix for the IEMs, Plus I don't want to mic up ever thing on stage, bass, drums, guitars, keyboards, etc.

I would you prevent the vocal delay, feedbacking, squealing for this type of set up

The two mics on stage are behind the speakers facing the band. They are not for stereo they are to pick up ambient sounds from both sides of the stage. No delay because they are just picking up what is happening.

No delay, you need to mic everything you want to hear, there will be no feedback since the volume of those mics to FOH will be off. These mic do not feed the FOH, they ONLY feed IEMs. They do not feed wedges either. That is why you have to decide to do it right or don't do it. What is your hearing worth? Unfortunately, IEMs done correctly is not a cheap endeavor.

• Members

oh ok.

1.) so you put the microphones on each side of the stage

2.) plus on the stage with the band before/behind the PA

The two mics on stage are behind the speakers facing the band. They are not for stereo they are to pick up ambient sounds from both sides of the stage. No delay because they are just picking up what is happening.

I would think there would be a Delay from the singers vocals coming out of the FOH being picked up from the IEM microphones. Cause the Vocals mics would go straight into the mixer board going into the IEM headphones, but at the same time the vocals will be coming out of the PA speakers and bleeding into the 2 microphones for the IEM

I'm just thinking there is going to be bleeding vocals from the PA speakers to the microphones to the IEM's. Because the 2 microphones for the IEMs are going to be on stage or behind the PA speakers it going to bleed through or be picked up and cause a Delay of vocals right?

Archived