Anyone use an SM-57 for live saxophone??

• Members

I've been looking at mics for saxophone and I realized that I like the recording sound of my SM57 for saxophone. I have never connected it to a P.A though,f for live performances. Has anyone done this?

Also, are there any bell clip on devices that would fit an SM57?

I've seen a few live bands use 57s for their horn lines, which of course include a sax or two and it didn't sound bad at all.

If you like the the tone of it, then go for it.

I dunno about the bell clip thing, though.

You might have to deal with using a mic stand.

• Members

And 57s work for EVERYTHING.

You can use a SM57 to beat* your band's singer to within an inch of their life, and the mic will still work great.

* Insert reason for beating here, as if you really need one.

• Members

Yeah, 57's work fine. Best on a stand - you can move yourself relative to the mic to control tone and volume. My preferred sax mic is the ATM25, though. When you've wasted your 57's in a nuclear detonation, the ATM25 will have picked up the sound quite nicely ...

• Members

Yeah, 57's work fine. Best on a stand - you can move yourself relative to the mic to control tone and volume. My preferred sax mic is the ATM25, though. When you've wasted your 57's in a nuclear detonation, the ATM25 will have picked up the sound quite nicely ...

You've got it backwards. When the ATM25s have disintegrated, you can go back to your 57 after you wipe the dust and entrails off.:p

• Members

The SM-57 (and the SM-58, for that matter) are the quintessential "main-stay" mics in the business.

"Back-in-the-day", when our early bands were struggling ($$), we didn't have mics for every member's needs.

Even today, I often use just one SM-57, mounted on a long goose-neck extension. I use this set-up in the most upright position for vocal and Trumpet, and bend it downwards for picking up my non-electric Mandolin and acoustic Guitar.

Hard to beat in the "bang-for-the-buck" award.

• Members

Yeah, hard to beat the workhorse 57. If I understand the original question, it's "will a 57 work live"? And of course the answer is yes. 57s can be used live, in the studio, to stir a pot of soup, as a weapon, and with a little modding, as a shoehorn. A friend of mine (sax player) made a jury-rigged clip-on mic, not a 57, but another mic that normally mounts on a mic clip, so I'm sure it's possible (IIRC, he used a drum mic mount and attached it to his bell. not the prettiest or lightest solution, and you can't care too too much about the finish on your bell, but it worked.)

Why are sax players the crazy ones? :confused:

Archived