Just got a free mixer

• Members

Craigslist said "FREE MIXER". I spoke with the guy and he said he had to move in 3 days and everything must go. It seems to be stuck in "solo" mode but otherwise looks pretty clean. I haven't had a chance to check it out closley but I'll bet I can fix it.

It's an ART Phantom 2408 (complete with rack kit). I can't seem to find any documentation at all. Has anyone ever used one? It seems like a pretty flexible yet cheaply made unit. How much time should I invest?

Worst case, It might make for some good parts (the price was right :-).

If anyone knows where to get a manual (idealy a service manual), I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks

• Members

yet cheaply made unit.

Don't know about that one.

There's some similar cheaply built rack mixers from that era (ie. Alesis Studio) with nice features, but aren't even worth the time to pick up -- let alone parts.

• Members

As I suspected. The problem was operator error. The mixer works fine except for two pots (one slider I fixed with gentle plier action and one rotory I already superglued). It now works fine. Over all no crunchy pots except the ones noted.

Free is a great price for this mixer!

The build quality isn't as bad a I initialy thought. What felt like gritty pots is how it is made. Unlike many MI boards where the pots are soldered to the PC board and fastened to the top plate with nuts, this mixer has the knobs protruding through a plastic dust cover just beneth the top plate (this friction against the rigid plastic dust cover is what felt gritty). 6 screws and the top plate is off. It is also divided into PC board sections of 4 channels each (much like some of the mid level Yamaha gear is built).

Not a great board but fully usable and a fine giveaway to a fellow I know who needs one (he has a failing "B" mixer that I gave him a couple of years ago - No suprise there :-). This is a definite step up for him (at least from the gutter :-).

Thanks Bobby1Note for looking. No manual needed. Inside it's pretty basic.

Archived