My kid wants an Eb Alto sax. What should I buy? Thanks

• Members

Yamaha is almost always a good choice. I'd also recommend, if buying new, Jupiter's line.

However, MIM Fender level for a sax costs about $600-$800. Its a pricey instrument.

If you go used you can save a lot. Because Yamaha is always updating their lines, even a model a few years old will have lost some resale value while still being a quality instrument. If you go a lot older, there are bound to be some good saxes from the 60s-80s or so that are in great playing shape. If your daughter wants "shiny," though, they may not satisfy.

Good luck finding a sax! We've got some sax gurus here who can point you in the right direction a bit better than I can.

• Members

This was my first horn:

http://wwbw.com/Yamaha-YAS-23-Student-Alto-Saxophone-i17490.music

It've had it since '94 with no real problems with it. Sounds great, easy to play. It doesn't have a high F# key though, but for a begginer that's gonna be a non-issue for several years.

That's probably about deluxe MIM fender quality. Saxophones are really expensive unfortunatly.

• Members

I just bought a Keilwerth ST90 student alto (actually made by Jupiter). Very well made and easy to play, and apart from lacking a high F# it's much the same as a regular pro sax. Certainly the best sax of four I've owned over the years.

Bryan

• Members

I just bought a Keilwerth ST90 student alto (actually made by Jupiter). Very well made and easy to play, and apart from lacking a high F# it's much the same as a regular pro sax. Certainly the best sax of four I've owned over the years.

Bryan

+1 on the Keilwerth ST90. I use one. Big deal with the high F#, just use the front keys for that.

• Members

Suggestions made so far are good and you should definitely consider a used horn that has been well taken care of or not used much and is in like-new condition. If your daughter has played for a while and is dedicated, definitely consider an intermediate model as well. Look at/for Yanagisawa 901, Keilwerth ST-90, Yamaha YAS-475, a Selmer USA model, etc.

These horns will have some or most of the features in construction as the pro horns. Mouthpieces are just as important, too, if not more so. In electric guitar-speak, think of it as guitar to amplifier but in reverse.

• Members

Suggestions made so far are good and you should definitely consider a used horn that has been well taken care of or not used much and is in like-new condition. If your daughter has played for a while and is dedicated, definitely consider an intermediate model as well. Look at/for Yanagisawa 901, Keilwerth ST-90, Yamaha YAS-475, a Selmer USA model, etc.

These horns will have some or most of the features in construction as the pro horns. Mouthpieces are just as important, too, if not more so. In electric guitar-speak, think of it as guitar to amplifier but in reverse.

Thanks you all. I think I have better idea now. Maybe I should "force" her play my electric guitar....:cop:

• Members

+1 - all good suggestions so far.

Go used. Check Craigslist or pawn shops. Older Bundy's ain't bad either. Most important is to find an Instrument Repair Shop in your area. Most of these will service School Band instruments as their main source of income. As soon as you find your instrument - take it to said shop - and make friends with the sax repair dude. If the instrument is not too banged up - it should only need a few pads and some regulation - that cost can go from ~$30 up to $200 on average. So you need to factor that cost into any purchase you make.

As you can tell from the prices out there - even a full up job on a $400 horn is alot less than the $1600 for new.

Good Luck!

And ya got a smart kid - wanting to learn Sax!!

Ummm -

Gotta mention this - has she played clarinet yet? It is frequently recommended for kids to learn the "torture stick" first - then sax.

• Members

+1 - all good suggestions so far.

Ummm -

Gotta mention this - has she played clarinet yet? It is frequently recommended for kids to learn the "torture stick" first - then sax.

I have always been told that learning the more difficult instrument first is best... Same with starting guitar on a high-action nylon string... If you can do barre cords on that (and I spent 6 weeks mastering that when I first stared guitar--harder than getting into the clarion register on the clarinet...) then you can play anything on a low-action electric... For example... :)

Scott

• Members

Also, this Steven Howard guy seems to have some good articles/reviews.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Alto_sax_reviews.htm

This week, I was just considering getting a basic Alto (I have played clarinet for almost 30 years) and found his information useful in making my own decisions (as well as the information on this forum).

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Archived