Question about splaying EV SX100+ speakers

• Members

I will have access to 2 pairs of EV SX100+ speakers and would like to splay them for more coverage than I would normally get with just one pair. I will be performing only outside when using all 4 speakers and splaying them, and wanted to know at what angle I should splay them? I perform in an acoustic duo - guitars, vocals only.

According to the manual, these speakers have 65 X 65 degree horns. I realize that the higher frequencies are narrower than the lower ones, and therefore that it might be difficult to determine exactly what the angle should be in a given environment to avoid phasing or other issues, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I have seen these speakers, or the SX300s (could not see the rear panels to determine which), splayed in such a way that the sides of the cabinets were basically touching each other, or at least really close to touching. Not sure if this was advisable, but it is how I saw them.

I will gladly provide more information if it will help you help me. Thanks in advance for you help.

• Members

You will need to experiment but those speakers combine pretty nicely... that's one of their nice aspects for such a low Q box. It's pretty forgiving.

Forgiving is good considering the operator (me)! I will certainly experiment with them as you suggested. By the way, I listen to a lot of small acoustic acts and I have never heard any using speakers that I thought sounded better than these. I believe they are out there, just saying I have not heard them. If these are low quality, I wonder what you label PR12s, BR12s, and the even cheaper stuff. I guess you would call them really low quality.

Archived