Why do I hate my own voice?

mddanial100

• Members

Well, I had a long holiday so I decided to give singing a go. When I record myself singing and playback the audio, there is always this weird feeling of dissatisfaction. To be honest I think my singing is very averagely-like. I was thinking if you guys out there can critique my singing (much appreciated smile.png ) and probably well I just wanna know if any of you singers out there actually hate the sound of your own voice. Hehe have fun. Oh and I would also be willing to check out like videos that can help me out lol hahas. https://soundcloud.com/itsdadanial/dunnowhyihatemyvoice

• Members

Hi there

I thought I'd try and help out, I'm a singing teacher and I listened to your recording. Ok, so you can sing for sure, but you need to sing a song in a lower key to start out with, before you attempt the MB song. Also you are 'slightly' impersonating him (hope you don't mind me saying) this is ok in the beginning as you are finding out your 'sound' but you need to make sure you don't loose 'your own voice' as much as we love MB.

Don't feel disappointed with your vocals, they just haven't been 'used' as much as other people singing. People don't just wake up and become amazing, they have been singing most of their life and that's a LOT of practicing!

Two important things you need to do to instantly improve your sound:

1, open your mouth, exaggerate the words, some words with 'ooo' sounds are harder to do open, so the rules aren't set but usually ee's and ahh's are easier to sing 'Open'

2, Breath! Deep breaths use the air wisely, never sing on the end of a breath, always top up!

Any teacher or seasoned singer will tell you this!

Don't give up, keep practicing and be realistic with your progress

Lynsey

http://www.ltvox.com

• Members
Hi there

I thought I'd try and help out, I'm a singing teacher and I listened to your recording. Ok, so you can sing for sure, but you need to sing a song in a lower key to start out with, before you attempt the MB song. Also you are 'slightly' impersonating him (hope you don't mind me saying) this is ok in the beginning as you are finding out your 'sound' but you need to make sure you don't loose 'your own voice' as much as we love MB.

Don't feel disappointed with your vocals, they just haven't been 'used' as much as other people singing. People don't just wake up and become amazing, they have been singing most of their life and that's a LOT of practicing!

Two important things you need to do to instantly improve your sound:

1, open your mouth, exaggerate the words, some words with 'ooo' sounds are harder to do open, so the rules aren't set but usually ee's and ahh's are easier to sing 'Open'

2, Breath! Deep breaths use the air wisely, never sing on the end of a breath, always top up!

Any teacher or seasoned singer will tell you this!

Don't give up, keep practicing and be realistic with your progress

Lynsey

http://www.ltvox.com

Thank you so much! Though I wasn't actually trying to impersonate MB hahahahas I sound like that when I sing Daughtry too. I'm trying to find like the right genre for me at the moment. Thank you again for your comments!

• Members

I can't really offer any real advice since I'm not a certified voice instructor or anything. But!! I used to hate my voice, too. Sometimes, I still do when I'm having "off days". Something I always try to tell myself, "I'm my own worse critic." I can't speak for everyone, but I do know my performance is largely based on my mood. If I want to get the most out of my singing, I'll take a nice shower, dress up nice, do my hair/make-up, ect. So! With the mindset, "I hate my voice", it's really a downer, and can overall affect performance. That in mind, I really pushed myself to push that thought out of my mind. It was definitely hard at first, but has improved my singing by getting rid of that thought. Having fun largely helped. If I'm singing because I feel I have to, I make little to no progress.

It may or may not help, but you might want to take the extra time to do things that don't directly affect singing, such as dressing up. Or, anything that affects your mood. I think that if you spend more time singing while happy, than the negative thought of hating your own voice will eventually fade. May sound silly, but I find singing simple Disney songs help! I have a large love of Disney, though. But! Singing songs from Lion King just to get in a good mood has helped me in the long run.

Sorry if this all sounds silly! But, I think sometimes the answer for singing problems doesn't really have much to do with singing since it's a projection of your emotions. Have a lovely day!

• Moderators

Hi and welcome to the Singer's Forum,

It's actually very common for a singer to dislike the sound their own voice, no matter what level they're singing at. There's a big psychological factor in listening to yourself sing, you might perceive it as better or worse than it actually is. So its very important to listen back to yourself often and develop an objective ear. Once you get use to your own sound then it will bother you less.

Ideally you want to sing using the vocal sound that is most natural to you. Sometimes people will try to over-manipulate their voice to compensate for the aspects that they don't like in their voice. But if it's taken too much into the extreme then it can throw your voice out of balance and may encounter some vocal issues down the road. For example when I was younger I use to forcefully deepen my voice and I was creating a sound that wasn't natural for me to sing. But after years of re-training my voice I was starting to get it more balanced again. You just need to find a technique that you can rely on and to find the natural alignment in your voice.

I listened to your sound clip a few times. The main thing you need to work on is your breath support. You seem to have the tendency to stop your airflow multiple times within a phrase making the phrases sound choppy. I would recommend getting down the concepts of breath and support first. You need to engage your lower body muscles (solar plexus, lower abs and lumbar) to fuel a constant stream of breath.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

• Members

You are welcome, recording yourself was a good move, you'll normally find your sound from the music you listen to, so even if you didn't intend to sound like who you listen to, you'll end up with a bit of them in the mix! It's all good 😊

Archived