Customer wants a Floyd Rose in his PRS

Freeman Keller

• Members

I am sorry if my post was offensive to anyone. It wasn't meant to be. The point of my post was NOT the adeptness of Freeman. But I see that is all a couple people got out of it.

My point was it is business. If a guy wants dumb flames on his car...you put the very best flames ever and cash the check. Everyone walks away happy as can be. I think maybe don't judge the taste of the person hiring you. If you (and this is important!:) explain the consequences, but also give him EXACTLY what he asked for (as opposed to what you think he needs) it's a job well done.

If a guy wants to pay you to route out a beautiful PRS- you assess if it has the proper dimensions- for example depth of body and current cavity space- can it BE done? And if so...put the very best Floyd system in the guitar. Cash the check and be proud of your work!

It would appear that Freeman has indeed rejected the job. Nothing wrong with that either. It's his business, and there are certainly times a businessman must use some discretion- especially if you are in good position to do so.

It might sound odd but as was noted- in some ways I agree with declining the job. 10-20 years ago I would have not agreed. It would've been something very hard to get. For the money and the risk involved- order a PRS with the Floyd factory installed.

I also still think arranging to send the guitar to PRS to modify on their machinery is a great idea. I think once the factory has routed, most of the risks are gone, and a good tech can mount and cal the Floyd

Archived