Gig this weekend, Drum mic settup

• Members

Have a gig this weekend setting up and running sound for a local church. They're having a 5 hour event with bands and soloists doing their thing. INSIDE

Called in to to see what the equipment is..

2 QSC HPR 122i's

2 Yorkville LS720p's

4 monitors, yorkville y15p's

Studiolive 16.4.2

They want to multitrack the night.

Then asked about mics, they have 58's for vocals, and this for drums.

2 Rode NT5 pencil condensers

1 AKG Perception 220

1 Shure Beta 52a

1 Sennheiser 825

I mean, I've used the sennheiser 825 before on snare, with ok results, but since they have the NT5's... Well what do you guys suggest?

• Members

I'd probably use the NT5s as overheads and route them to the multitrack recording, but not necessarily into the mains unless they're necessary. And I might put the 220 (are you sure that's an AT and not an AKG?) out in front of the room capturing the whole sound in the room to the multitrack, if it's a good live mix. Something like that. Try to be a little creative with it.

• Members

How many peeps do you need to cover? Or the area needed to cover? Is the drumset going to be used for all the bands? Or do they need to be changed out every set?

I only ask due to work involved during setup. I've done a few outreach events with multiple bands. 52 on kick, the rodes overhead and snare if needed. Three > four mic's is usually plenty. That way change over is quick and painless. Some drummers will even know how and where to place the mic's. LOL

• Members

With five bands, they also want you to worry about multitracking the night? I guess that's your call. I'm old and crusty and so my answer wouldn't be appropriate, but I would rather worry about the gig than the recording. I guess it depends on what you're getting out of this, and what it means for the future.

I too would be tempted to use the overheads, kick and snare and call it a day. Don't know how big the room is, or the style of bands though.

Archived