Got PAF Tonez?

wankdeplank

• Members

I like the sound of Brit Blues Mojo. God knows I'd love to try some of this stuff if 1) I was rich, 2) it was fool proof and 3) didn't mean I had to spend a couple hours turning screws and shooting springs around trying to get those height screws started in the screw holes again. That's a miserable job I tell ya. And I always go with the old adage, if it ain't broke, why fix it. Glad you're enjoying yours though, nothing like having instruments you really love.

• Members

See what you did Beano, you sent me looking for demos of the WCR Crossroads pickups. So I find these guys (The Doug and Pat Show) from Portland (actually look and act like characters from Portlandia), America's answer to Chappers and the Captain (except these guys play cooler vintage gear), actually doing a showdown between both a 59 and 60 vintage LP and a Heritage with Crossroads pickups. Bridge position only through a Vox then a Marshall - not really a fair fight considering the guitars in question IMO, but fun nonetheless.

[video=youtube;Tl6mw6OSifc]

• Members

If you are happy with your pickups certainly why change? Swapping pickups out are a chore but I'm an electrician, so compared to what my job demanded, pickup swapping is pretty tame. Pickup recommendations are tricky. We all hear things differently. All of the pickups I've bought over the years came highly recommended, it was the WCRs and to a slightly lesser degree, the Wolfetones that rang true for me. WCRS aren't cheap but there are higher priced pups out there. I got a WCR Moore/Green ( with the cool "out of phase" middle position) on ebay for $150. I've had them in several guitars and they're killer.

• Members
See what you did Beano, you sent me looking for demos of the WCR Crossroads pickups. So I find these guys (The Doug and Pat Show) from Portland (actually look and act like characters from Portlandia), America's answer to Chappers and the Captain (except these guys play cooler vintage gear), actually doing a showdown between both a 59 and 60 vintage LP and a Heritage with Crossroads pickups. Bridge position only through a Vox then a Marshall - not really a fair fight considering the guitars in question IMO, but fun nonetheless.

[video=youtube;Tl6mw6OSifc]

I watch this video ALL the time. Doug is a great "old school" player. He plays very expressively and always gets great old school tones. Gotta love those guitars as well as those amps!!!

• Members

Yep, he definitely knows his way around that neck. I mean it's all pretty much just minor pentatonic but he really uses that entire neck. Wish my extemporaneous solos were that fluent.

I've seen a few of their other videos and they're not bad, still not quite as entertaining as the boys from Andertons IMO. There is some entertainment value but some of the gags (pipe lighting) get a bit stale and their interaction comes off a little stiff sometimes. Doug's probably a better player though, so there's that.

• Members

I agree, Pat is not exactly charismatic is he? I'm an old dude, grew up with Cream, Fleetwood Mac, Mayall etc. Guitar into amp. No master volume or gain cascades. The Anderton lads are entertaining. Chappers can play ANYTHING ( he has ALL the modern techniques and scale vocabulary, no doubt) but when he "dumbs down" to early Brit Blues, he doesn't have the "mileage/baggage" ! LOL Doug, like me, has BEEN there. I like the vintage tones and gear and that's what Pat and Doug are all about. Anderton is demoing / selling gear, Pat and Doug are just hangin'......

• Members

"Don't those non-wax potted pickups squeal when overdriven? "

There's basically two main elements that make a humbucker more "PAF" more than anything else. People talk about the different magnets used and all that but in my opinion it's the assymetric lighter windings and lack of wax potting. It gives a pickup more "bloom" and harmonics and less of a muddy sound. The idea is that a pickup that's not wax potted might squeel more. But all those pickups made back then WEREN'T wax potted and people still played them. The ones in a vintage 1959 Les Paul aren't. Do you think all those rock stars are sending the pickups in their vintage Les Pauls off to have them potted? I think of it like a very sensitive $1,000 microphone. Yep. Gonna feed back way more than a cheap $50 one because it's very sensitive. Wax potting makes the pickup less sensitive to vibration....but at the end of the day you WANT a pickup to be sensitive to body vibration. At least if you want the GUITAR to be heard. If you play super high gain then you don't need a PAF...as a matter of fact you're hearing the overdriven amp more than the guitar anyway. Probably ANY pickup will do.

• Members

Hey GC, thx much for weighing in on that. Are you in sales per chance, cause I damn near dropped my stance and went to Ebay to go Boutique pickup hunting. Love the similes and descriptions, very insightful and inciteful, good stuff. However, one of the main reasons I changed out the 490R/498T on my LP and installed a 59/JB set I had on hand was because of some feedback I was getting in the bridge. Still you've piqued my curiosity Sir and I already have a boutique builder in mind (down the road maybe).

• Members

Just an update to say that I have yet to cave. As noted I have three guitars now with a 59 in the neck slot and I gotta say the more I play them (mostly a Strat guy) the more I dig the sound of that pickup (in the neck slot anyway). Recently replaced a 490R/498T combination in an LP with a 59/JB I had on hand and I mean it was a huge improvement - really can't get enough of that guitar now. The JB seems to be a little finicky about what guitar it's going in but the 59 seems to sound good in anything (at least in my experience). I know it gets slagged in favor of some of the more exclusive Duncan offerings but one reviewer described it as a Seth Lover with scooped mids and with wax potting to avoid the feedback problems.

I like this vid (not me) and this guy has got me considering replacing one of the bridge JBs (have two with the 59/JB combination) with a Pearly Gates with the tonal options and combinations he's getting (no coil splitting):

[video=youtube;xYhX6bIlEP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYhX6bIlEP8

• Members

• Update: I caved, yeah I did. You guys are a bad influence.J/K Just pulled the trigger on some Sharp-Tones . Well here's my thinking - new builder, hence much lower prices, liked the fact that he uses three and four magnets, that his pickups are potted, that he uses mismatched coils (scatterwound might be something as well). The kicker was that the stock pickups in my Carlo Robelli 335 copy sound warmer and more PAFish than the 59 in my LP. And the JB is a one trick pony as well. Of course the other thing is that they were pickups I had hence chrome covers in a guitar with gold hardware (doesn't look that bad but, not great either).

Let you know what I think.

Archived