CD Release Party protcol?? Please Give Advice.

• Members

I realize that this is totally last minute - but well - it just showed up - and this is where I come for insights.

A local artist is having the CD Release Party for his second CD tonight - and I am going to provide sound for the Pre Party Social Hour. Just canned music. I am thinking I should play his FIRST CD - would that be right? Then everyone is going to go over to the Hall and he will - I assume - perform the new CD.

• Members

I realize that this is totally last minute - but well - it just showed up - and this is where I come for insights.

A local artist is having the CD Release Party for his second CD tonight - and I am going to provide sound for the Pre Party Social Hour. Just canned music. I am thinking I should play his FIRST CD - would that be right? Then everyone is going to go over to the Hall and he will - I assume - perform the new CD.

Why not ask the opinion of the person who signs your check?

• Members

Check? There is a check?

To be honest The people who are hosting the Social Hour are just some people - and to be honest - while - sure I would probably go along with whatever they said - I doubt if they would really have an opinion - and certainly not an informed one. I would rather hear what some peole here might have to say.

IF there was a check involved - then that would sort of clear things up - maybe. Just because someone is paying for something - doesn't always mean that they know how it should go.

But - of course - the customer is always right - that's true. Unless they are open minded - and willing to listen to a better idea from a more experienced person - which - some customers are - and some customers aren't.

• Members

Definitely check with the artist. The last CD release party I did I play a somewhat mellow music in the back ground while everyone came in and mingled. Then the artist was announced and then certain songs were played at a more concert level. Probably because they want to "highlight" the artist music.

• Members

As it turned out - the social hour was very small. Nobody from the band showed up - or the main guy either. Just some friends of theirs. I played Miles Davis - Kind of Blue and In a Silent Way. At one point - the girl who was "hosting" got out her new copy of Cory's CD - and we put it on - listened to the first few songs - and then it was time to go across the street to the "show". They put on a pretty good show - several people I talked to thought it was the best Cory Hill Show they had ever seen. it was certainly the best I had seen - but I had only seen a couple. I got to brag to Cory's Wife's Father - tht I had recorded Cory's 1st album - because he played with my Step Son YEARS ago - and they did a recording at my house on my Teac PortStudio.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks.

Archived