New live rig idea

• Members

Hi, I'm currently using a Yamaha EMX512 mixer to power 2 wharfedale pro speakers for my acoustic duo live sound. Sounds fine to my ears. My partner also has a Zoom R16 recording unit that we use for capturing ideas at home. With all the functionality this unit offers, it got me wondering if the zoom, paired with 2 powered speakers, would work in the live sound arena. For smaller shows of course.

It would be great to record our live show into separate channels for mixing later. The Zoom also has 2 onboard mics which we could use for capturing some room sound. 2 1/4 outs, left and right, some onboard eq.

Would this work? What are your thoughts?

• Members

The gain knobs at the top control input levels(recorded to sd card) while the faders are for monitoring the mix, which goes to the left and right outputs and headphones. Onboard mics can be removed from the live mix and still recorded to the sd card. I'm not sure about separating eq/ keeping it in the live mix and not the recording. There are input effects and send/return effects options but I'll have to read up on that. I think I can make this work, just have to give it a good test run sometime. I have ran the zoom into my powered mixer>to passive speakers and it worked during my short test.

I could go that route but I'm all about portability. Also, thought there might be other shortcomings I haven't thought of. Here is the unit http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/zoom-r16-multi-track-recorderinterfacecontroller.

Thanks for your input!

• Members

It would be an inexpensive way to record multiple channels of live audio which would allows us to create better demo tracks. We could add the mastered track to video footage.

Of course, I don't own any powered speakers so right now I'm just curious about the possibility of running live sound like this. Less to haul, smallers stage footprint.

Archived