A dumb question?

• Members

One area where some countries have a definate advantage is in creativity and engineering. This is generally because of the way the education systems are configured and the approach to teaching the subjects. I have met engineers from say China who were good engineers but have very little creativity becaue their education system and culture (strongly) discouraged thinking outside the box.

• Members

Oh no...I didnt meant it that way! LOL! Please pardon my poor expression in English.

TO be more accurate, I have always thought that American Made GUitars are superior to European made GUitars...same goes for Pro Audio products. I dont know...is this correct?...or is it just clever marketing from you Americans?

Well...

I play bass. More specifically: I generally play Fender basses. More specifically: I generally play Fender Jazz basses. More specifically: I generally play 1980's era MIJ (Made in Japan) Fender Jazz Special basses.

I've been playing bass professionally for right at 40 years (started in November 1972 as I recall).

I do own a 1966 Fender Jazz bass, which (as near as I can tell) was originally sold as a "1966" produced model, but was likely assembled from pre 1966 (CBS) Fender components or was wholly produced pre 1966 (of-course, it's wholly a US product). It is a great playing, arguably good sounding bass. I've also played a variety of 1950's thru early 1960's Fender basses over the years. Of all of them, I personally judge my 1980's vintage MIJ basses (I own 5 of them) to be on-par with the pre CBS Fender basses I've owned and played... There's some aspects of some I've liked better, but they're all "good" IMO. One of the first basses I bought was a made in USA 1976 Fender P bass... which replaced the '60's vintage Lyle bass I played from 1972 - 1976. I played that '76 P bass exclusively from when I bought it new in 1976 till the late 1980's. I didn't realize what a turd that '76 P bass was until, in the latter part of the '80's when by a fluke, I played a '80's MIJ Jazz bass. I was doing production work for a show, and right before the headliner was scheduled to perform, the headliner's bass player came down with a severe/acute case of food poisoning... the band was going to cancel the performance... they were traveling with a BE... I mentioned that I could pitch-hit for the band's bass player. They took me up on my offer... I played the show using the band's bass player's '80's MIJ Fender Jazz bass. I bought my first MIJ Fender Jazz bass directly after that and offed my '76 P bass a few months later.

Since then, I've also tried out a number of different basses, including a couple different Warwick (made in Germany) basses... which were really excellent basses... I'd be tempted to buy a Warwick except I've been known to take a swan-dive while playing, and I feel a little uneasy performing with a $5K bass strapped to my shoulder. I've also performed with a couple different Rickenbacker basses... one was very nice (mid '70's I think), and I tried an Ibanez... upon a recommendation to me by Carol Kaye.

Out of all of the basses I've played over the decades, my favorite is just about any one of my mid 1980's MIJ Fender Jazz Specials.

I also own a fairly late model MIM Fender Jazz bass... it's some endorsed signature bass (I can't remember who)... but it's my "go to hell bass"... I only pull it out when I don't care what an awful instrument is seems to be to me, because conditions are such that I don't want any of my good basses in that environment (like playing a biker bash during a wet tee-shirt contest or some such Plasmatic-ish performance situation).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived