Equipment Upgrade setup and tuning price?

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

I did some troubleshooting for a small installed system that was having a lot of trouble. The manager wanted me to come down, have a look and then help them pick out a new amp, mixer and speakers. They figured they were toast. We talked a little bit about that on the phone. They liked the peavey setup in the other lounge, the problem was the small EV setup in their other lounge.

Since it was intermittent I just had this feeling it had to be the wiring. Their maintenance guy was there and he did most of the wiring. It was a bit of a rats nest.

We finally traced the problem, due to ruling things out and almost starting from scratch. It took 2.5 hours from walking in the door to when I left. The manager asked how much, I said $100, she said no problem.

She told me she asked the maintenance guy if it was worth it bringing me in, and he said "if Rob never came, we would still have the problem, and now we don't need to replace anything." So that was good to hear.

So that shakes out to $40/hr, which we both felt was fair.

This is exactly why everything starts with a service call to determine what the problem is.

If it's one of my installations and they are looking to upgrade or expand, I generally do not charge for an estmate assuming the original installation is still itact and servicable.

Archived