EV ELX Vs JBL PRX - pwred speakers part 1

• Members

the qsc ks i didnt think sounded quite as solid as the others. They were crisp on the highs. But just sounded less beefy on some songs. Hard to quantify. Plus, although i liked the size of their subs, i would have needed 4. To really get enough bottom end.

As for the dsrs, i only heard them once and i really didnt like the highs in them. Funny, to me they sounded a bit like clubs. I know a lot of guys dont mind the clubs but to me theres always something about them when i hear them in store that sounds harsh. I've a couple of times gone to a store planning to buy clubs (as recently as last year) and been put off by the horn in them. Im not sure what it is cos they do tend to sound good in use. Plus the dsr sub i think was 42kg which is a little bit heavy for my liking to lift at the end of the night.

Just my opinions - i know obviously others will disagree.

Thanks!

When I was auditioning speakers, I thought the QSC's were a little weaker than the rest of the pack too. I absolutely heard the harshness you are describing with the DSR's, but when I compared each speaker with the best channel eq I could get (I used a presonus mixer at GC with a channel for each speaker I was testing with), the DSR's really shined. They didn't have EV's at the time which was a real downer for me since I really wanted to audition these.

The honest truth is that in a live setting with the right equalization, it would be quite difficult to tell the difference between the new crop powered tops. They are all pretty good stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FYI the JBL tops and subs are designed to be paired up to a DBX DriveRack PA+ as both of these brands are Harman owned and the driverack come with all the tunings and crossover / limiter settings for these boxes but will also automatically tune your speakers to the room no questions asked.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I would probably recommend staying with the JBL all around provided you can get much of the difference back upon resale. (That's my hunch, that it would be a wash on resale, so you are just "hiring (or renting) the difference".

Good morning, this seems to be the consensus that the JBL brand get's more back on trade and sale. Where is the data that supports this or is it simply personal observance? In the 80's I remember it seemed all the good knock you in your seat pa's were EV's now it seems almost all professional concerts I attend I do see the JBL name, did JBL acquire more market penetration in the 90's or any theories on this? Thank you.

• Members

No sir, not laughing behind your back (though if you keep your misinformation and argument up YOU may create this situation yourself), just providing factual information to correct your incorrect assumption. I suggest that you read the features section (for lay folks) that discusses the dsp portion of the produce.

Since I service this stuff, I have service and support docs. that clearly show the dsp and I have done enough analysis to be confident my information is correct and very accurate in every detail.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

No sir, not laughing behind your back (though if you keep your misinformation and argument up YOU may create this situation yourself), just providing factual information to correct your incorrect assumption. I suggest that you read the features section (for lay folks) that discusses the dsp portion of the produce.

Since I service this stuff, I have service and support docs. that clearly show the dsp and I have done enough analysis to be confident my information is correct and very accurate in every detail.

Had I have known your experience I would have not posted that comment, sorry and please continue for my and everyone's benifit :smileyembarrassed:

• Members

Not as easy of a question as it seems...

First of all, in order for the performance to be the same, the processing must be the same and thx driver compliment must be the same. The drivers are different, I haven't tested the 400 but wih the weight being considerably higher (plux the weight of thd amp) makes equal performance pretty much impossible IF weight is part of the performance package.

Then, there's the difference in processing between the XTi and what's on board the PRX-600 series. Not just the parameter data but also what's available (such as 8th order filters, specific dynamics).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Our small system consists of 4 of the ELX112P tops and 4 of the ELX118P subs.  We always use them in pairs and have pushed the living crap out of them with no issues at all.  The tops sound great to me, and looking at them with an anlyzer they show nearly flat out of the box.  The subs are okay, but nothing special.  They are single front-loaded 18's so you can't expect tremendous bass.  They get the job done though and you can tighten them up pretty nicely if you know what you are doing.  We have 4 more of the tops that we use, along with the others, for wedges when we are running one of our larger systems and they are wonderful.  We have had a couple of people look at them and kind of put their nose up but then after their show they comment on how clear they were and how well they could hear everything.  I bought covers for mine since the rumor about the coating is very true.  I haven't had any issues with them going thermal, even in the sun.  Although I try to keep the heat sync out of direct sunlight, it just makes sense.  And you absolutely don't need any other processing to make them sound good. 

Archived