RCF 310's or 312's for stage monitors?

• Members

I bought a couple of RCF Art312's for mains about 3 years ago after much research on this forum, and I am very pleased with them. Back then someone else supplied monitors, and now I am in a gigging bar band doing the usual to more modern covers, small to medium places. We are a 3 piece currently, and since I do not have subs yet only vocals will probably be going through the monitors.....I would like to stick with the RCF's and was wondering if the 310's would be sufficient as monitors. Thanks in advance.

• Members

And why would anyone consider running sub frequencies through a monitor? I don't think running the drums or bass through monitors to be a good idea. There are exceptions that include IEMs and stages where there is no backline for the bass and only electronic drums. As far as the 310s vs 312s. I suspect that either should do what you need a monitor to do. I'd be leaning towards the 310s as being better for midrange and vocals. Those are places where monitors really help with vocal work.

• Members

Did a State Fair show a number of years ago and the monitor for the drummer was a 2x15 main and was aimed in my direction. I couldn't hear my own monitor because it was soooo loud. (Lots of sub bass coming from that too.) I was nearly 20' away and wanted to be a lot farther away.

• Members

You can't really go wrong either way. For redundancy the 312's would be good, but for a more compact speaker that's really just as capable as a monitor the 310s are fine and a bit cheaper. If you plan on getting subs then the 310's would work fine. If you aren't then maybe the 312's so you would have back up mains that could handle a bit more low end.

I've been using 310s for several years as monitors and love them.

• Members

Yes, I do plan on getting subs eventually, probably next summer for those. I am torn though, like you said having the 312's for redundancy is a good idea, but having the 310's being more compact is a pro also. I drive a Ford Focus, and right now I can fit the pair of 312's, 16 channel mixer, stands, a fearful 15/6 bass cab and my bass in it with a little more room to spare, without a passenger of course. So the 310's would be nice in that regard. Going to have to get a bigger car when I get subs though....

• Members

Or a trailer. Running subs would make the 310s viable as a backup to your current system. The loss of a few dbs would hardly be noticed. (And you're probably not running on the ragged edge of your system's capabilities anyway. So nobody would notice anyway.) By the way, depending upon what volume levels you're running, the EV ZXA1 subs are small and sound nice. (To my old ears at least.) Kick drums sound warm deep and never muddy. Two of those subs will fit into most trunks, weigh less than 50 pounds each and are powered with a built in 700 watt amp. No crossover required. I like the ones that I've been using for the last 18 months. (I have the matching pole mount ZXA1s.) You might want to try some out before investing in subs with a new car.

• Members

I rented a trailer last night to haul PA, it is my preferred way to go since my keyboard right takes up almost my entire minivan (Pontiac Montana SV6 EWB). U-Haul charges $15 for a 4x8 trailer (in Canada, anyhow) and will insure it for an additional $8. So, the break-even point is probably somewhere around 100-150 gigs. Although if I buy a trailer, it will be more like the UHaul 5x8s, I think. I want to be able to haul an entire band without using van cargo space.

Now, U-Haul Professional Services are a bit more expensive. I showed up yesterday, backed up to the trailer, and realized that there was no hitch ball mount or ball on my new van. Yeah. Total effing facepalm. I wound up paying $40 for a guy working in their back shop to spin a ball onto a ball mount and bang into my filthy receiver with a hammer. It's probably never coming out. But, hey, the shop kept me on schedule, and I don't begrudge them the fee one bit.

Wes

Archived