Kick drum mic placement?

• Members

This video clip is with a well tuned DW collectors 18x20" kick with a Evans Emad head and no internal muffling. Mic placed halfway in port hole.

Thanks for the link!

The drums and everything else sounds "pretty good"... in-fact quite good for what I'm guessing is a smart-phone captured video.

The drums in the video are quite a bit more prominent in the mix than what we usually do... but appropriate for the song. Great tune BTW. Looks like there was a good crowd in attendance... and the song was being well received. What were the demographics of the audience?

Also, I'm curious what mics were on the drums, specifics about the system, etc... ?

I'm pretty sold on a DW collector's series, maple kit. I worked with a group a few weeks ago who was using one of these kits... it sounded great acoustically and mic-ed. I pumped their drummer for information and learned quite a bit.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good cymbals can easily cost as much as the rest of the kit

Cymbals are like guitars, every one sounds different and it's an art to being able to pick a set without living with them for a while

Thanks for the info and insight.

I believe for the time being the cymbal thing is of lesser concern. Fortunately I've kept most of the cymbals I had back when I was doing backline gear with sound and lights. And our drummer has a nice group of cymbals.

• Members

This is actually my kit that is used by many of my clients. They are willing to pay a little extra because they know it will be tuned to their liking for whatever style of music they are playing. This event was our towns annual Halloween ball at the local Town Hall/theater 400 capacity room. The band in the video played the whole Paranoid album 1st set. Second band is a great original blend of Zappa meets Primus IMO. Video of this band link below:

10" and 12" toms are D2's, 14" floor tom ATM 25, kick drum, Miktek PM 11, AkG C431 hats and overhead. Danley SM80/TH 118 powered by Crown, Mackie DL 1608 for above video clips. Video clip below. Same kit with better audio quality. Outdoor event with Keith Jarrets son on the drums. Midas Pro 1 is the only change in the system here.

• Members

The new forum software isn't a very good word processor. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it's just plain hinky. I've learned odd tricks like use the cut/copy/paste to fix big bo bos. Again it's intermittent in that sometimes it works fine and sometimes x big bo b :-)........

Archived