Open Mics/Jams

• Members

Does anyone have any advice on starting an Open Mic somehere? There are a lot of pubs, bars, restaurants...etc in my area that have weekend enteretainment but nothing at all during the week. Is this something you just go up and ask if they are interested in doing one and you host? I have all the equipment needed. This is just an idea that I have been thinking about, I have not been in touch with anyone in terms of doing this. I would rather know what I am getting into so I can make sure I can hold up my end of the bargain if something does go through.

Thanks.

• Members

I know a guy that runs one at a coffee shop once a month. He uses a bose setup, 1 of the big sticks and 2 of the "subs" 4 mics, 4 DI's. it's pretty good. He's a buddy, I know he gets $100 a meal and a tab. I do open mics here and there. The last one I provided 2 tops, 3 mics, couple small guitar amps (mic'd) couple DI's and a 4 piece drum kit. I charged $300. It was a lot of fun but there was too much damage, so we had to end it. (Bar fight) I'm talking with my main venue where I provide for, they are interested in it, for $300. There's a couple other open mics in town but they don't provide drums. We have a younger crowd, it's a lot of fun

• Members

Good idea is to find a bar that already has music scheduled and pays their ASCAP/BMI etc licensing. Coffee houses might not be doing this, or they demand originals-only playing. ASCAP etc has agents who look for unlicensed open mikes.

In my town we have a non-profit that exists solely to run their own music space, pays rent and licensing, and operates as an art gallery that sells wine and beer, has an open mike night, an open jam night, sublets for practice space, and hosts small concerts. It's become quite a network for local musicians, pro, semi-pro and amateur. But that is a big commitment for the volunteers and board members - just an idea if you want to think big, community wise.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It certainly doesn't hurt to ask. In most cases there is a "house band", who basically plays a set to get things going, then anyone who has signed up to play is asked to come on up. If no one has signed up, the House band plays the evening out. Unless you want to do a kareoake kinda thing.

Archived