DBX Driverack PA+ ?

• Members

Hello all, I purchased my Driverack PA+ used and was wondering if anyone else has a simaler issue. It seems this unit has way too much output signal. my problem is I can have all the different features turned off with just the x-over functioning. I have to cut the db down -15 to -20 on both the highs and lows (bi-amp) or it sends way to much signal to my amps (loud hiss) I dont think I'm sending to much signal into it, because I can run the signal straight from the board to the amp and everything is fine. I borrowed a rane x-over from a friend to trouble shoot my system and it worked great. I could turn the amps up to where they need to be and no noise. Is cutting the db down this much hurting clerity or is this the norm for these units. there is no warranty and I'm afraid I'm stuck with this unit if it is bad. I would think the normal setting for this gain would be around zero. Thanks for your time, Doug. 

• Members

A couple of important things to check... first question... do you have the manual and have you read it?

I would do a factory hard reset then I would verify that the jumper settings are at the factory default. These jumpers adjust the internal gain structure for proper level scaling.

Are you biamping with subs and tops or for a full range cabinet's lows and highs? The most common or typical output level differences are subs between 3 and 6dB greater output level than tops and for the other case the highs are typically ~10dB below the lows. Of course it depends on the exact speaker but this will get you close.

With the DBX DSP, I typically like to set the amps attenuators to -6dB which scales the dynamic range versus amp or DR limiter module's limiter compliance to a reasonable ratio. There needs to be a difference between the point at which the amp limits and the drive electronics clip, otherwise the limiters can not work.

What amps are you using? What else is in the signal path?

• Members

Thanks for the quick reply! I do not have the manual but have read the online one. The signal chain goes A&H mixwiz stereo out, dbx 2231eq, dbx DRpa+, stereo bi-amp to two Crown macro 36x12, JBL sr4726a tops, JBL sr4715A bottoms. I think I will try the factory hard reset as I really don't have much programed into it. I'm not quite sure of the "jumper settings" is that the signal level out to the amps?  thanks, Doug.

• Members

If you have not already done it, go through the auto setup as there is an auto amp balance section in there (high/low and L/R). Also, using the process on the last page of the manual is a good baseline for setting up the gain structure; although it is common sense, don't forget to unplug the speakers before starting.

It sounds like you might have bought this used, also make sure the EQ isn't set goofy from the previous owner; don't suggest you open it up and start messing with jumpers before doing all the basics. The other setting that someone may have messed with is the amp levels, you can set the gain independently through the crossover menu.

I run a few of these and if anything found the gain was lower than desired on the "out of the box" settings but love them now that I have them dialed in.

• Members

I experienced this same kind of thing with a Lexicon unit

Factory reset solved the issue

Go to DBX.com and go to support or downloads and download the manual

To start off read the manual

Second find how to reset factory settings

Something like..hold this key and this key down and plug unit in they press go (example)

• Members

Turns out that is was not in the Driverack after all. It was in the Crown Macro 36x12. on the back of the amps there is a P.I.P. MEM card with low z inputs. I read somewhere to turn all the dip switches on the card to off. well after reading, reading and more reading I found  out that I was sending +40 db into the preamp section of the amp. Well Duh! no wonder it was making so much noise! I pulled the pip card, reset the dip switches to 0 db and TA-DA! I can run the amp volume knobs full up and no noise. I guess that is the trade off when you buy stuff online with no support you have to figure things out on your own and through forums like this one. Thanks again for the replys, Doug.

Archived