MOVING HEAD WASH - RGBW or RGBA?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what I'm worried about. I know chauvet and blizzard fixtures are made in china. But they are high enough quality for Chauvet and Blizzard to stand behind them as quality products. The last thing I need is my knock off fixture going down in the middle of a show. I guess the name brands offer some peace of mind.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

That's what I'm worried about. I know chauvet and blizzard fixtures are made in china. But they are high enough quality for Chauvet and Blizzard to stand behind them as quality products. The last thing I need is my knock off fixture going down in the middle of a show. I guess the name brands offer some peace of mind.

Exactly!

It's a tough decision, and I believe that we need a great deal more FACTS than what we have so far in this thread. I know Agedhorse was clear when he said that they are NOT the same quality, if I am interpreting him correctly, that is. And let me tell you, like it or not, when Andy says something, I listen! And Andy has said a lot of things that I didnt like which turned out to be 100% true. lol

Hopefully more people will chime in, both new and inexperienced light users like myself who went with 100% Chauvet (or the Chinese no name brands like SB and SV) as well as more experienced people who can give more than the anecdotal evidence I and others at my level are only capable of providing.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Buying no name Chinese lights are a total crapshoot. So many are total junk that IMO it's just not worth the risk.

As far as I am concerned, this post, right here, ends the discussion with a resounding, loud thud!

Seriously, anyone who has been around here for more than thirty seconds knows that when this guy says something, it is ONLY ever backed by lots of facts, experience, and the knowledge of a man who works on and builds pro audio equipment.

I don't play craps in Vegas or Atlantic City, and I am certainly not willing to do so with my pro audio and lighting equipment.

THANK YOU AGAIN, Andy, for clearing this up!

• Members

JV90...no...but it looks the same as Chauvet's...but more powerful. If you have seen the Chauvet 4 bar Tri LED...it looks the same. But do remember ,,,,it is RGBW Quad LED....so the color mixing possibilities are a lot more than Tri LED.

• Members

Fab5's boys. Get the real deal, you won't be sorry. I took a chance on some Chinese knockoff wireless DMX. It's good until it doesn't work.

Now it's flaking on me and I can't take the chance on a high paying gig so I'm off to the city tomorrow at 6am, 7 hour round trip to pick up 300 - 350' of DMX cable because I tried to save some money with a Chinese knockoff.

Never again, no matter what anyone says. Thank goodness I was prudent in allowing an extra day for set up. The gig will go off without a hitch thanks to Plan B, and the time to pull off Plan B.

Next time I'm sticking to Plan A.

Buy legit, buy once, cry once. I have 4 more legit Fab5's on their way.

• Members

I like that saying, Andy! :)

StratGuy22 wrote:

Fab5's boys. Get the real deal, you won't be sorry. I took a chance on some Chinese knockoff wireless DMX. It's good until it doesn't work.

Now it's flaking on me and I can't take the chance on a high paying gig so I'm off to the city tomorrow at 6am, 7 hour round trip to pick up 300 - 350' of DMX cable because I tried to save some money with a Chinese knockoff.

Never again, no matter what anyone says. Thank goodness I was prudent in allowing an extra day for set up. The gig will go off without a hitch thanks to Plan B, and the time to pull off Plan B.

Next time I'm sticking to Plan A.

Buy legit, buy once, cry once. I have 4 more legit Fab5's on their way.

I hear you, brother! I am very glad that you worked it all out and can get through the show relatively unscathed.

This is why I went with the supposedly "inferior" Chauvet. The first time I ever hear the term "Buy once, cry once!" was on this forum, believe it or not, and it makes perfect sense. My Dad taught me something as a child that his Dad taught him, which is along these same lines. Paraphrased, he basically said, "Paul, if you are going to skimp on something, you skimp on stuff you buy every day, over and over again. You never skimp on something that you want to only buy once. So if you see some off brand of milk you want to try that is cheaper, screw it, go ahead and try it. If you don't like it, you're ot a few cents and will just buy another quart tomorrow anyway. But you never skimp on things you only want to buy once that you want to last years." He then went on to say, "When buying something for long term use, don't make the mistake of buying something you will want to replace in six months. Better to WAIT until you can save for the product you will be happy with."

That's why, to be honest, I spent the better part of a FULL YEAR annoying the living {censored} out of everyone in this forum with my constant barrage of questions that, particulatrly in the beginning of my tenure here, were laced with misconceptions, fallacies, and half-truths.

You know what? I could have bought a PA system six months of I wanted to! I bet I could have bought the equivalent of "Chinese knockoff lights" in PA equipment here in the US (say Behringer, lower end Yamaha, or what have you) but you know what?If I would have bought that system, maybe I would have been happy with it...for a little while. Then I would be lamenting the purchase, irrepsective of all the money I would have saved.

You know what else?

I am seriously considering spending what will amount to about $125.00 each on a few of the fixtures SB poster pics of in the lighting forum (or some similar product) but there is only one reason,  well, two actually: The first is that I CANNOT find anything that is RGBA or RGBW that has 10 watt LED bulbs and this many of them:

Knockoff.jpg

But here's my thing, and guys PLEASE, as usual, correct me if I am wrong, but if I spend, say $400.00 on three of these and they go down, arrive DOA, or I just flat out end up having to throw them in the garbage, and assuming I lose all my money, we are talking about a relatively small amount of money AND, more importantly, I already have enough Chauvet lights that these RGBA or RGBW lights are more window dressing or luxury than anything else. In other words, I am not going to predicate my entire lighting system on a couple of knockoffs, even if I do go this route.

However, if I can find fixtures that come out to even twice the price of the knockoffs plus shipping, and they are the "same thing," only with the brand, then I will just wait a week or two more and spring for the extra cash.

• Members

I'm doing sound for a small 2 day festival. I'm loading up a 16' truss with 11 lights I'm thinking.

My band takes the stage at 7. So it will be more decoration than anything. But yeah I dunno. The last band will play into dusk so they will work for that.

• Members

Just did a prom with my wonderful beautiful brand name lights:

12 - wonderful Blizzard 3NX's

12 - fantastic Microh Slim P7 Tris

4 - beautiful Blizzard Fab5's

4 - gorgeous Martin Minimac Profiles

2 - sexy ADJ JellyDomes

2 - stunning Chauvet Mini Kintas

All controlled by the wonderful easy to use DMXIS. The Microh's are more cubelike than the Blizzards. Being RGB as well the colors were easy to match up. I haven't had any issues with my spectacular Blizzards. They made everyone on the stage look beautiful, and I got lots of compliments about the Northen Lights look I was able to create.

I had issues with my no-name counterfeit Wirelesd DMX setup. They looked exactly like the Wicicle setup, but they needed a power cord instead of getting power from the fixture.

They were acting iffy during setup so I didn't want to take a chance on using them. Instead I drove a 7 hour round trip and picked up 600' of amazing XLR cable and hard wired everything. I ended up using only 500' of the wonderful XLR cable. Better to have 100' extra instead of needing 100' more, especially for such an important gig. A bar gig is one thing, but their prom was a once in a lifetime event so no point taking any chances.

The night went off without a hitch. 5000 glorious watts for FOH along with a set of incredible 300W delay speakers, that way I wasn't killing people at the front of the venue trying to get sound to the back of the venue.

It was my first year doing prom, and the night was a complete success. They are recommending me for next year, so I'm looking forward to becoming their go-to guy. I know I can trust the quality of the wonderful brand name gear I using. I thought about no-name Chinese knock offs, but for me the spectacular name brand gear is a better choice.

As a legit business, everything becomes an equipment expense to be depreciated over time, so I'm not worried about the name brands costing more.

Peace of mind is worth every penny.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Just did a prom with my
wonderful beautiful brand name lights:

12 -
wonderful
Blizzard 3NX's

12 -
fantastic
Microh Slim P7 Tris

4 -
beautiful
Blizzard Fab5's

4 -
gorgeous
Martin Minimac Profiles

2 -
sexy ADJ
JellyDomes

2 -
stunning
Chauvet Mini Kintas

All controlled by the
wonderful easy to use DMXIS
. The Microh's are more cubelike than the Blizzards. Being RGB as well the colors were easy to match up. I haven't had any issues with my
spectacular Blizzards.
They made everyone on the stage look beautiful, and I got lots of compliments about the Northen Lights look I was able to create.

I had issues with my no-name counterfeit Wirelesd DMX setup. They looked exactly like the Wicicle setup, but they needed a power cord instead of getting power from the fixture.

They were acting iffy during setup so I didn't want to take a chance on using them. Instead I drove a 7 hour round trip and picked up 600' of
amazing
XLR cable and hard wired everything. I ended up using only 500' of the wonderful XLR cable. Better to have 100' extra instead of needing 100' more, especially for such an important gig. A bar gig is one thing, but their prom was a once in a lifetime event so no point taking any chances.

The night went off without a hitch. 5000
glorious watts
for FOH along with a set of incredible 300W delay speakers, that way I wasn't killing people at the front of the venue trying to get sound to the back of the venue.

It was my first year doing prom, and the night was a complete success. They are recommending me for next year, so I'm looking forward to becoming their go-to guy. I know I can trust the quality of the
wonderful brand name gear
I using. I thought about no-name Chinese knock offs, but for me the spectacular name brand gear is a better choice.

As a legit business, everything becomes an equipment expense to be depreciated over time, so I'm not worried about the name brands costing more.

Peace of mind is worth every penny.

Hahahahaha Awesome! Your wonderful lights, my wonderful lights...all our wonderful lights. It's like one, big, happy WONDERFUL LIGHT family!

agedhorse wrote:

For the look of truss and lights, is it worth the hassle? Is it better to spend time elsewhere and improve audio or band performance?

Hahahaha No I definitely wasn't asking this question from the standpoint of having cool looking window dressing like stands and fixtures for no other purpose than to look badass. Although, in truth, I am not entirely convinced my actual reasons are any less absurd than your comical reason. I was just wondering if my fixtures were bright enough that even in daylight, their lights would add some color to the stage.

But I will confess to enjoying your reasons more.

agedhorse wrote:

You sure do like to stir the pot don't you?

At least he should be able to get his money back, or some reasonable resolution. Wonder if they were possibly Chinese counterfits. I've been on the receiving end of that a couple of times in the semiconductor world.

Yeah, she is a little butthurt for reasons passing understanding. Nearest I can figure out, she didn't like answering mine (or anyone's) questions about the viability of the Chinese lights while we were undecided between more of the name brand or spending some cash on the no name brands. So she basically took her marbles and went home, only to come back here and there to talk about "her beautiful lights" and to take little potshots at name brand fixtures.

Quite funny, actually. :)

And yeah, I agree with you. As I posted in the linked thread, because Blizzard is a name brand with an actual...ya know...customer service department...they will surely make good on this.

• Members

Skating?? Wow....what are you doing there?

-----------------------

They take the ice out in the spring. Then it's rented as a hall for grad, plus there's rollerskatkng and other things in the summer.

There are cables running across that they use to drape the ceiling. The "chandelier" was Christmas icicle lights and I lie you not, wax paper shapes.

Looked pretty good! The perimeter lights also belong to the Grad Committee as well.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

In Canada we get full blown winter. But even with that, pretty much every town has an indoor skating rink, for hockey etc. but like I said in the summers they take all the ice out
:)

Hey strat guy, any towns nearby have lacrosse teams?

Archived