Started voice lessons today..

wesg

• Members

So, I took my first ever voice lesson today, at the tender young age of 40.

It was interesting. I selected a working pro (signed artist) whose work I like, that has lots of teaching experience and formal training. Teacher thinks I have a good range and timbre for a pop/rock vocalist -- provided it I can get it under control. He's pricey, so I plan to get together with him a couple of times a month for the next few months.

Anybody else start singing at a late age to round out a band? My goal is to eventually sing lead on a couple of songs a night, and solid backing vocals all night long. This has the promise to be an interesting journey. This afternoon was the first time I've ever been told to singer louder. ;)

Wes

• Members

I could never sing (or maybe it was just a lack of positive feedback) I'm 60, started singing a couple of years ago. Can't say I'm front of stage material but I'm not 'that' bad, just cannot get past the break so it all falls apart around E above middle C! I'm primarily a keyboard player so my singing is just to avoid hearing the same think over and over and over for the verse to a song. Done few solo old folks things and a few open mics and jams so I'm not above making an idiot of myself. About to go out busking once I get my power rig setup. My music money currently goes into piano lessons but hopefully at some point before I stop breathing I'll get around to having a few voice lessons, if only to get past that ruddy break.

I've found that just using a mic so that my voice is coming from another direction has helped by be more in tune with my playing (even if not 'exactly in tune!). and sometimes I just play scales and do la la la to those as a form of practice.

All I can say is good for you, you're never too old to at least try something new and who cares if nothing comes of it, at least you tried. The world is full of people that say "if only i'd ..."

• Members

Breathing is important.. get used to bottled water to wet your throat..warm up with a series of vocal exercises..

You can sing in your car in light to no traffic situations.

Singing is loud and usually requires other people to listen to the noise to determine if there is a problem or identify the noise as some one singing

..Practicing singing is as loud as an electric guitar...but you always retain control..

Pick a mic..Reverb is Absolutely Everything..think Lexicon rack mount units..Lexicon mx200...good..Lexicon MPX 550 & MPX1 better..Lexicon PCM..the very best.

Good mics..EV 767, cheaper good mic..AKG D5, D7.. or others sennheiser, shure ect ect.

You wont sound very good at first..then after a while record your self..Lexicon Lambda or Focusrite scarlet ect...or use your sound card and a usb mic to your computer..

Likely makes sense to use your sound card at first...even with a $1.99 mic.

should take a few months to begin to sound right and get to the point where you should begin recording yourself...helps a lot if you know the lyrics..

Your voice may not be a match for for your favorite songs..maybe you are an easy listning multi-platnum superstar in the making..! Everyone has at least one song they can do that is good eneough to hit the radio some place..!!

Oh well by fleetwood mac is a good song to start on..not too many words..easy to memorize.

You will want to begin to practice with some amplification soon..maybe a powered mixer and a couple of 12" pa speakers...or even one powered speaker..but they cost a lot more

Buy a few karaoke songs you like..they all use a karaoke player you can download for free CD-G..maybe then when you get better try some karaoke at a club..just one song.. Work on vowels.. .work on commonly heard lyric words...lyrics online free a lot of places...work on your range..

Archived