Does an Aluminum Tailpiece Sound Better?

WRGKMC

• Members

Can't speak for tailpieces but from my experience with acoustic bridge pin materials, it would definitely make a difference.

eg, replacing plastic bridge pins with brass ones made the guitar much brighter and more responsive to different dynamics.

• Members

^^^ Yea I have an old Junker Alverez acoustic I bought at a pawn shop for $50. Its got one of those that has the adjustable bridges with a metal piece the saddle fits into and has a screw on each end to adjust the height. I installed a Piezo pickup under it and it pretty much sucks turds for tone. My thing is if it affects acoustic tone that tone gets carried through the strings at some point and winds up adding or detracting from the sound quality. I never tried brass pins on an acoustic but its my favorite bridge and nut material. not too bright, not too dark. Its got good sustain and is self lubricating as it wears. Acoustics often have brass/bronze strings so I guess the improvement is additive.

• Moderators

I find it a real pain in the ass that most guitar hardware these days is zinc. Surely they didn't make them like these back in the day?

Actually nearly all guitra hardware is made from steel or steel based alloys and then plated in chrome, zinc or gold, so you're only talking about a few surface thous

Archived