Art & Lutherie Ami

TRU

• Members

TRU wrote:

Got one of these. Curious for your thoughts on what I'd like to do to it.

1) replace tuners (not sure what these are, but they're 14:1) with white button Klusons (15:1)

2) add teardrop turtoise shell pickguard

3) replace bridge pins and GraphTec saddle and nut with bone

Photo:

Sweet little guitar. 

1)  I only replace tuners if there is something wrong with them and lots of very good tuners are 14:1 (many Grovers).    What ever you decide, make sure the bushings are the same diameter - mounting screws rarely line up but you can check measurements at StewMac.   Unless I'm going for a certain look I mostly use Gotoh's for medium price/quality tuners.

2)  Your call on the p/g - I don't install them because I don't use a pick.   I really don't care for them on small guitars but on that cedar top you may want one.  If you do put one on I would advise cutting it down a bit so it looks proportionally correct.    And with that lovely 'burst I would consider a clear one.

3) If there is nothing wrong with the nut or saddle why replace them?   Tusk is a very good material - its what Taylor uses because it can be molded and machined easily, some people argue that its much more consistant than bone.   I do use bone for all my nuts and saddles and I do replace cheap plastic ones, but the only reason I would replace yours is if the nut slots are too low or the saddle has been lowered too much.

As far as pins - lets not open that can of worms.   I use bone for everything I build, but I've still got the original plastic ones in my Martins and Yamaha.   If you do replace them be sure to get the correct size - there are two different tapers and several diameters (Bob Colosi has a helpful chart).

• Members

I'm sorta with Freeman on this.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  I have two of those.  Well, more accurately, two of my daughters have them that I bought for them.  Both are the earlier Wild Cherry top versions.  They sound and play great and I love to pick them up and noddle under the excuse that I am doing "routine maintenance".  I specifically picked the Wild Cherry laminate versions because one has been through 4 years of college and the other is at college now.  I thought, correctly, that they would be pretty bullet proof.  

I love to fiddle with things to try to improve them but in this case I would just play the heck out of it. 

Archived