Steinberg ur-22 versus Mackie onyx verus M-Audio interfaces

JBbitchin

• Members

Okay...I started out looking at CD burning interfaces and when I saw a bunch of them covered in dust at a local music store (and found out they were all BRAND NEW, so I asked in turn wtf!?), and found out most everyone including all the professionals are actually using or going to laptops for portable recording if they in fact do it this way and DAW or Digital Audio Workstations...well now I have a new problem. I can get a Steinberg used for $89, M-Audio with software for $150 or without and find some other software for $118 I think and then the Mackie Onyx for $141 with some cheap software too. And my only question is, is it worth getting good just doing and editing a couple tracks at a time before you move up to a larger interface and has anyone used any of these and what kind of results or problems or information might you share with me as well as everyone else here on the forum? Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Before I had any clue what I was doing, for a camera hookup for digital video, I bought a couple microphones made by CAD, a GXL2200 and a GXL 1200 mic pack and I just got a Shure SM58 for audio (now that I have learned about the SM58 and SM57 for vocals and instruments...so the SM57 is on my list to pick up as well). And I have more amps and guitars, bass drums etc. than I know what to do with-- Any suggestions on how to mic a drum kit would be appreciated too. Anyway...any and all useful information would be hugely appreciated. Thanks, JB

• Members

Laptops are fine but have no advantage for music recording over desktops or towers, etc.  Laptops do have a portability advantage in general, but for the other features that matter for recording, they usually cost more for the same CPU power and hard drive capacity than a desktop.  And laptops usually have fewer connections (USB, etc.) and zero PCI-e slots if you want to use cards such as UAD offers, etc.

The cheaper interfaces you mentioned - they all have fans and foes.  Almost no one will have used them all and can really compare them, except maybe for some reviewers.  So I recommend you go to the Sound on Sound website and search for reviews on the models you've asked about.  Also Keyboard Magazine, Mix Magazine, and the reviews, both Pro and User here on Harmony Central.  For some spirited discussion with a very wide range of reliability, search the gearslutz forum for discussions on these models, too.

I'd recommend you add the Roland Duo-Capture or Quad-Capture to your list of interfaces to shop. I use the Quad-Capture and like it very much.  There is a huge Pro Review for the bigger Octa-Capture unit here in Harmony Central.  

You'd be really limited miking up a drum kit with a two-input interface!  Maybe you could get by with a four-input model.  Not my area of expertise, 'tho - you've got a big learning curve to climb.  

Don't get too carried away buying stuff before you sock away some learning on all this :smileyhappy: 

Best o'luck

nat whilk ii

Archived