CAKEWALK RAPTURE (software instrument)

Anderton

• Members

It's been quiet for awhile, but with the 1.1 release hopefully I can jump start this for a minute to get a couple questions answered: I've been playing with Rapture quite a bit the past few days but I can't figure out how to do a couple typically obvious things. One is to modulate the DSP / various FX. The manual indicates the modulation matrix is for MIDI sources, and indeed that's all I see, but all the EGs, LFOs and step sequencers have hard coded destinations. If I just want to set up an LFO on the amount of tube saturation, how would I do that? Along the same lines, the mod matrix is where I would typically go to patch one LFO to another, but again, only MIDI sources. Are these things possible and I'm just not seeing it or was Rapture not designed to do this? I've looked all through the manual and all over the web and I haven't seen this mentioned as either something that's possible or not, seems like a kind of obvious topic so now I'm scratching my head. It's hurting me to have all those banks of modulators sitting there doing nothing in my 1-element patch.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This sounds really stupid, but how do you start this program. :confused: My girlfriend just bought it for her daughter, and we can't figure out how to get it up and running after installing it on a laptop with Windows XP. Can't find an .exe file or anything like that. From the start menu, we have a choice for Rapture Help, Release notes, and uninstall. Can somebody please help, we will be eternally grateful.:confused:

• Members

You can run Rapture as a stand-alone instrument (you need the latest update, free to legit owners) by going Start > Programs > Cakewalk > Rapture > Rapture Microhost. Set up your MIDI and audio, and you're good to go.

Funny that this thread got dredged up...I'm putting the finishing touches on a Rapture expansion pack called "Minimoog Tribute" that I'm told will be released at NAMM.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Hey. Been using this thread as a reference for playing with the trial version of Rapture, with an eye towards purchasing the Pro Suite from Cakewalk. I realize there haven't been any posts here for a while, but was hoping someone could lend some insight into the possibility of what I'm trying to do.

Basically, I'm looking to bring recorded samples into Rapture as elements, setting loop points for each element and possibly sequencing multiple elements one after the other in the same instrument.

Example 1: Bring in a "yo" recording, and loop the "o" sound, but not the "y-" sound

Example 2: Bring in a "y-" sound and an "o" sound and sequence the two one after the other, with the "o" repeating.

I know that there was an example posted of multiple elements fading into one another, but I haven't been able to get the same effect with custom-loaded WAV files. Of course, this may simply be due to my lack of experience with the program itself.

The one thing that has me baffled in general is that all of the WAV files in the Rapture directories auto-loop, but custom-loaded WAV files do not. This may be due to the length of the file, but I may also be overlooking something extremely simple.

I'm sure this thread is one that I'll look back on months from now with a good amount of forehead-slapping but, for now, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Setup: Rapture Web Trial running through MiniHost

• 6 months later...
  • Members

From what I understand Cakewalk is a good program for the "beginner" recording artist, it takes out all the know-how of a Digi board user and put's it into a format that you can fiddle with without having to worry about messing something up. From what I've read Rapture sounds like a good alternative for people that can't fork out the cash for those who don't have the money to fork out for the "better" program.

• Members

From what I've read Rapture sounds like a good alternative for people that can't fork out the cash for those who don't have the money to fork out for the "better" program.

Rapture is a virtual instrument, not a sequencer, and it won a MIPA award. I don't know of any program that's a "better" version of Rapture...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

MezzoForte:

I think what you really want is DropZone. It allows you to drop in a wave file and control pitch and the looping portion of the wave file. You might be interested in RXP as well. Both are Cakewalk products. A quick search didn't reveal any stand alone trial version of either, though I didn't dig in too deeply.

• Members

I used delay times on the envelope to do the "wave sequencing" type of patches.

The one thing that has me baffled in general is that all of the WAV files in the Rapture directories auto-loop, but custom-loaded WAV files do not. This may be due to the length of the file, but I may also be overlooking something extremely simple.

There is a limitation on how long a wavetable can be, but you can get around this by creating an SFZ format file with your WAVs.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

From what I understand Cakewalk is a good program for the "beginner" recording artist, it takes out all the know-how of a Digi board user and put's it into a format that you can fiddle with without having to worry about messing something up. From what I've read Rapture sounds like a good alternative for people that can't fork out the cash for those who don't have the money to fork out for the "better" program.

Cakewalk is the name of the company.

They make all levels of Software from

beginner level to Pro.

Their Pro level Sequencer is called SONAR.

Rapture is a softsynth not a sequencer.

Many people believe Rapture's audio engine to

be the best on the market.

Archived